How safe is YOUR Mini-self storage

88ZNX

Let loose the Boost!!
:mad: I live in a neighborhood where I cant store my car hauler, camper or dent repair equipment trailer at my house. So about 5 miles from me is a "seems very nice and safe" self storage facility. I rent 2 covered outside parking spaces there. The manager said "This covered parking is new and security camera's will be installed in a week or so". Last May I was at a friends wedding and I get a phone call from another tenant that stores his boat there saying: " Do you have a National Dent cargo trailer?" I said yes, he said "The side door is wide open on it and it looks like your lock has been cut" So I hurried down there to check on it. When I get there, the tenant that called met me and said "Look! Someone has cut a hole in the fence and must have gotten in that way" and they walked right to my trailer, cut my lock and got my Generator, toolbox full of snap-on tools, and a kerosene heater (About $1500 in stuff). I am pisssssed. The tenant also said "Did you know you can push the front security gate open by hand?" I said WHAT?! So I went to the gate and sure enough, I pushed it open by hand. I went to see the Manager and said My equipment trailer has been broken into and some things were taken..She said "Oh yeah we had a break in.." I asked..WHY DIDNT I GET A PHONE CALL THEN?! She said Because we are waiting to see how many people noticed their stuff missing" I said WRONG ANSWER! You better get on the horn to everyone in this place to see it they have anything missing! Any by the way, you can push the front gate open by hand! She said "Oh really? Hmmm..I better call to have that fixed" and I asked Can we view the security camera tape to see if they caught it? Guess what. No security camera's have been installed.:mad: So I call the cops and do a report, blah blah, and the mini self storage's insurance company sends a letter to me basicly saying Sorry about your luck, we arent responceable. So I was out of my stuff and nothing was ever done. My car hauler, 30ft 5th wheel camper are still stored there with no more problems.

Tuesday, my Birthday, I went to check on my camper (I try to weekly) and soon as I drove up, I noticed my 16x8 open dove tail car hauler is GONE. I just dropped my head.:confused: :mad: So I drove around in the storage looking for it. Nope. Gone. I check my camper and its ok. I look around for security camera's that were supposed to be installed A YEAR AGO. None can be found. I head to the managers office...then stop, get out and PUSH THE GATE OPEN BY HAND AGAIN!!!!!!:mad: :mad: I went to the office and said I've had my car hauler stolen! Of course this is a new person in the office and I have to tell her all about this story over again. I said This is the 2nd time I've been ripped off at this place! And I said Where are the security camera's the place was suppose to install a year ago when I 1st rented here? And you can push the front gate open by hand! The manager said "Uhhh we paid to have that fixed" I said well its still broken!! Cops come, same report, and now waiting to see what happens next. The cops also witnessed the gate being opened by hand. Guys this place is a very nice facility, concrete, huge place. But its no safer than a open parking lot. I'm moving my camper this week. BE SURE TO CHECK ON YOUR STUFF!!! and get insurance! READ your contracts.

Jason

That really sucks. I don't feel comfortable about any of those places. There was one next to my old shop and I knew the manager pretty well. She always had the police there because of theft. They always though it was a tennant who knew the place well.

I would call an attorney. When I stored a car in one, they told me that I had to check with my insurance company about theft insurance, because they wouldn't be responsible if it was stolen.
BUT, if it is advertised as a secure and somewhat safe place to store your stuff, you should be able to expect a little bit of safety. If the gate can be opened by hand, then there is no securtiy. That is something that you counted on when you signed a contract to store your stuff there. If you can prove that they said they would have cameras there, and you show that the gate can be opened by hand, then you may be able to get something from them.
They may pay you something for your troubles just to save from having it come up in court.

Yeah, that sucks. I too, would call an attorney to determine the validity of a case. Often times, when you simply mention attorney to an establishment, they are more than willing to settle something with you to avoid litigations.

Don't give up on this because they're just going to keep telling people it's O.K.

Sadly, I think you are at fault as I would bet that in the 'fine print' of the rental/lease agreement you signed they clearly stated that you are responsible and cannot hold them liable and that you would carry insurance on your property. You might dig out the agreement and check.

Next course of action might be you home owners or renter insurance. They might have coverage written into them.

Sorry for your loss.

With those places it all depends on the help/staff. I had a few cars stored at one before and the staffing was fantastic. I sometimes drove in with different cars and when it was not my regular car she would ALWAYS come to see if it was me with police pager in hand (If it was a break in or someone who didn't belong there). She did not mess around! Sounds like the staff at the place where you had your things really didn't value their job! Maybe it would be a good idea to talk with the owner of the establishment.

Someone stole a piano from one of those indoor storage facility in my town. And they cameras. You could the person hiding from the camera and draping the camera with a towel. Most storage facilities have very low ceilings.

The new craze is someone hides inside a refridgator sized cardboard box and another person wheels them in. Once the place is closed at night, they break out of the box and break into the storage spaces.

Try to find a place that has an alarm system. You have to enter your personal code to enter and exit. Your personal code then is recorded. Also, the good places have a time limit during off-peak hours or you would trip the motion sensors causing the alarm to go off.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Sorry man, but it sounds like it's time to move. :frown:

You need to be where you can keep it at your place and watch it because at the rate you're going you won't have it much longer. Does the place you live have that high of a crime rate or are you in a restricted community that tells you what you can or can't do with your own property? Anyway, nobody will watch your stuff like you do.

I hate a thief.

Thanks guys, I've found a nicer place, its just not covered parking and I really wanted my new 5th wheel under something. I called the manager back and asked what has been done, and she said "You know not 5 mins after you left the office, we got a call asking if we has security camera's, and I said no, and the person was from a camera company wanting to come give an estimate. She said dont you think thats a little funny? I said yes, sounds like a sting. they rip the place off then sell you camera's. who knows. Anyway, I'll keep yall updated.

Jason

and she said "You know not 5 mins after you left the office, we got a call asking if we has security camera's, and I said no, and the person was from a camera company wanting to come give an estimate. She said dont you think thats a little funny? Jason

Hi my name is Joe Thief, do you guys have any cameras or any sort of security system? :rolleyes: