how tech are chip burners?

national84

Heavy breather
I am a fairly intelligent person, hold the laughter, and am considering a burner kit. The TR kit to be exact. I am not overly adept in my computer skills, and am wondering if this is a bad move? Just how hard is it to burn these things effectively? ANd, who has the most idiot proof program?

Not meaning to rain on your parade... but for the money and time you will put out, you would be better off going with one of the proven chip guru's chips. They have spent a lot of time perfecting their chips and the cost will be a lot less that you will put out for a burner,eraser, eproms and carriers.
If you are really set on this idea, the hard part is not the the equipment but knowing what all the tables within the chip do. Take a look at TurboDaves chip spreadsheet over on gnttype.org and that will give you a basic idea what you are in for.
FWIW More isn't always better, so be careful ! You don't want to turn your motor into a door stop.

Paul

National84,

I bought the setup you are checking out and have been very happy with it. In my opinion it is not that hard to program a chip. If you are familiar with tuning a car, you will have half of programming the chip down. I started with not knowing a thing about it and within 3 months playing with it I feel I have a very good handle on it. (still learning) I have been able to burn a chip for my car and it has ran the best it ever has. I have burned a chip for quite a few of the local guys and they also seem to be happy with them also.The advantage is that you are burning the chip to your car not a generic setup. The board at BM Computer Source is very helpful with questions as is this one. I would be one to recommend you by it and learn more about the tuning of the car. You can buy parts after parts but without the knowledge of tuning you are not going to get the bang for the buck. Just my opinion.

Chuck