How to center the body on the frame

imjoesnuffy

I just break stuff!
I replaced the body bushings a while back. Now I notice the body is not centered on the frame. I am going to remove the bumpers and loosen the body bushing bolts again but I was wondering....What are the best reference points for measuring to get the body centered back on the frame? Any insight or tips appreciated.

I used the rockers as a reference point since the frame and body run parallel there.

That's what I was thinking as well. Two jacks, a big pry bar and a couple wood strips. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything.

I measured from the pinch weld on the rockers to the frame to center mine left and right. I tried to get all the bolts centered in the frame holes front to back.

I used the rockers as a reference point since the frame and body run parallel there.

That's the same thing I looked at. I suppose you could also make sure your rear end is centered in the frame, then go from the face of the drum to the edge of the wheel well opening. Hang something from the top so you can measure straight out from the drum. This would work for the rear of the car at least. After swapping my mounts I ended up taking the car to a body and frame shop because even though everything was loose I could not "slide the body around" as some people had indicated. Hope yours goes smoother than mine did.

When you do it take lots of pics and add it to the how to section to help others.:) One thing I remember Dennis saying is that the body mounts are made off just a little and they were never fixed in production so it will shift back to one side sooner or later.:(

You most likely won't get it dead on with the frame but you'll get it close. Most likely it will be better than it was. Find a happy medium and tighten it up. Just snug them up hand tight and call it good. Don't make the mistake I did and use the factory torque specs otherwise you'll be retapping threads like I had to.

Wait....factory specs strips them? I am replacing body bushings when I get done with the suspension, so glad I saw that! Anyone else had that issue?