How to identify a BRF with out a tag

riviera

How can you tell a brf valve body by looking inside the tranny, and if you have a 200r4 without a brf valve body can the valve body thats in it be reworked to make it act and perform like a brf valve body

How can you tell a brf valve body by looking inside the tranny, and if you have a 200r4 without a brf valve body can the valve body thats in it be reworked to make it act and perform like a brf valve body
No other valve body can be made to work like a BR. You can mimic full throttle shifts with other valve bodies which we do all the time, but you will never be able to get the character of shift points the same at other throttle openings. Many have tried, but results are different from one VB to the next. To identify a BR VB installed in a trans, look for the pink paint on the VB, the TV valve will be .430" and have a metal sleeve. The 2-3 shift valve will have a #21 on the sleeve end. The VB has 2 pressure switches. The intermediate servo on side of trans will have 694 as the last 3 digits of GM number. If you disassemble the VB, there are other tell signs. Call me for more info if you have an issue identifying the VB

If you have a 200r4 without the right valve body and it have been re-worked what will be the noticeable difference and how long could you expect it to last with with some track time on it also i heard something about speedodometer not working with the wrong tranny because of the cable gear

It can shift and operate fine at WOT behind a stock motor or a built one, what Dave is talking about is part throttle shifting, around town shifting. A BR will hold a shift a little longer where as something out of a delta 88 for example will shift a lot sooner. It's not drastic but it is noticeable. Almost like driving a Ford with an AOD.....hurry up, let's get into overdrive!

I run an AA code unit with some mods. Not a brf but it does alright. Like Dave sez, other vb can be made to work with some effort. It isn't just the vb, the gov, and servo make a difference . Just part of hot rodding to make things work.

I got a good lead on a core brf transmission what a good price range im not sure if it a good deal or not

It can shift and operate fine at WOT behind a stock motor or a built one, what Dave is talking about is part throttle shifting, around town shifting. A BR will hold a shift a little longer where as something out of a delta 88 for example will shift a lot sooner. It's not drastic but it is noticeable. Almost like driving a Ford with an AOD.....hurry up, let's get into overdrive!
I thought that was a function of the gov
No other valve body can be made to work like a BR. You can mimic full throttle shifts with other valve bodies which we do all the time, but you will never be able to get the character of shift points the same at other throttle openings. Many have tried, but results are different from one VB to the next. To identify a BR VB installed in a trans, look for the pink paint on the VB, the TV valve will be .430" and have a metal sleeve. The 2-3 shift valve will have a #21 on the sleeve end. The VB has 2 pressure switches. The intermediate servo on side of trans will have 694 as the last 3 digits of GM number. If you disassemble the VB, there are other tell signs. Call me for more info if you have an issue identifying the VB
Hi Dave, the Governor for the BRF is also considered "special" with the modified weights and single spring right ? It just has the job of providing shift points at around 4800 to 5000 RPM ? Another question In regards to the TV cable tension , if i tighten up the tension , I won't be able to go with WOT ( TPS limited to about 3.8 ) but the shifts will be a hell of a lot harder .. Is this Bad ?

Hi Dave, the Governor for the BRF is also considered "special" with the modified weights and single spring right ? It just has the job of providing shift points at around 4800 to 5000 RPM ? Another question In regards to the TV cable tension , if i tighten up the tension , I won't be able to go with WOT ( TPS limited to about 3.8 ) but the shifts will be a hell of a lot harder .. Is this Bad ?

The performance valve body uses a light weight governor. The BR uses a single spring and will shift between 4800 to 5200 in stock configuration. I do not recommend adjusting the TV cable anymore than +/- a half click from stock position. The cable being longer will delay the shifts and make them harder when normal driving.

The performance valve body uses a light weight governor. The BR uses a single spring and will shift between 4800 to 5200 in stock configuration. I do not recommend adjusting the TV cable anymore than +/- a half click from stock position. The cable being longer will delay the shifts and make them harder when normal driving.
Great information Dave
Good way to know if you’re buying one for a spare.
But, I’ve heard that you’ve built one or two of these.

Dave is hardly on here any more . You can find him on 200-4r Nerds on FB .

Last edited:
Our very best transmission guys left because of 'know it alls.' I cut my teeth with Dusty Bradford about how torque convertors worked and he was kind enuf to answer all my dumbass questions in terms I could understand. He and the other transmission guys took a shit kicking on here. It was sad to watch. They all went to great length to answer every question asked of them.

Our very best transmission guys left because of 'know it alls.' I cut my teeth with Dusty Bradford about how torque convertors worked and he was kind enuf to answer all my dumbass questions in terms I could understand. He and the other transmission guys took a shit kicking on here. It was sad to watch. They all went to great length to answer every question asked of them.
That sucks!
People are always willing to ask questions, but then don't like the answer.