how would I go about....

matt1970pon

I in the hunt for a grand national.I have a 1970 lemans sport with a ram air 400 and a 4 speed in it now.I want a national too.Is there anyway I can setup a turbo on my lemans?Can I simply weld exhaust to the turbo and run oil lines and such to it,adjust carb etc..?I have a welder and have access to a tube bender that does up to 3 inch pipe so does it sound possible?I need something to do while I wait` for the right GN to come alone.whats all involved?

I'm all new to this guys.I'm abig cube,4 speed guy BUT I always loved GN's. IF its possible let me know. if I'm being dumb also tell me.ha ha

that's a carbureted application, right? Never worked on a blow through or pull through system But of course it can be done with the right direction. How many miles are on the motor. How is leak down reading, what's the compression ratio?

You may not be getting much play due to your explanation of what you are trying to accomplish. What are your power goals.

My personal opinion hold onto your money and buy yourself an application that is already turbo'd.

Anything can be done if you have enough money :biggrin: That Ram Air motor has too much compression and cam for a turbo. You would have to lower the compression ratio down into the 8:1 range and get a milder cam for starters :smile:

Anything can be done, just depends on how much you want to spend or how creative you are willing to get.

Yes you will need to either weld up a set of exhaust manifolds or get something done. Since you have a non standard engine, you will probably need to weld up your own setup. Usually you can get watercut header plates that would be the base for your headers. Using mild steel you could mig it up and save money.

Your carb if a Holley and mechanical, you would have to set it up as a blow through. If not a Holley I would recommend finding one or convert to fuel injection.

You will then need a turbo. Looking around here you could find one pretty inexepensive.

Fab up all your compressor side piping, some connector hoses and hose clamps.

Once all fabbed up and working, go tune.

Personally I would just wait and get your self a GN.

Why are you having such a hard time finding one?

I'm looking for one at a dealership.I don't want to sell my car to get a car.The car just got done being restored.