Hydroboost groaning

slay

I got the car with hydroboost setup already installed. I have been reading threads trying to figure out what is going on. I do retain the original PS fluid reservoir. So far it seems I need a new fluid reservoir but they are no longer available. Also better fluid, not sure what is in there so I am changing it anyways. What is the best fluid to stop the groaning or fight it? Lucas additive seems to help some but what base fluid is best?

I read another thread about a shaft being too long/short or not set properly that can cause groaning. Still researching that trying to determine what to check. The pedal is firm and the groan increases when I press it. Also the faster I go the higher pitch it is.

Am I on the right track? Other options anyone might know of? Aftermarket reservoirs?

Thanks in advance...

is this a conversion on an 87 setup?

There are numerous issues causing the moan. I would look for foam in the res first. If none switch to royal purple. You need to slow down the speed of the fluid going into the reservoir if its stirring in the res. Contact jim at hydratech as he has a contact to buy a new orfice from to slow the fluid down.

Check lines contacting the frame or body, they cause moan through the chassis
Check for foam
Make sure the line that enters the power steering pump to the res is at least 5/8" in diameter.

I have spent a couple years chasing the noises and have mostly all them gone now. You dont want to know how much I have invested in however!

Did you check for any leaks at fittings and ps pump? Even the smallest leaks allowing air into the system will cause the groan. I am working through the same issue. I will be re-doing the lines this Spring.

I was just out there pulling fluid out and adding an additive, it does appear to be foamy. not a lot but I could really tell when I added new fluid. Didn't stop the groan either... Maybe slightly less but hard to say.

I will check all the lines and their diameter tomorrow. I did read that the old res with the lines on top of one another causes issues. I will look into the hydratech avenue for a new orifice.

Thanks

that will help a little. Here is the 411. You need rid of ALL bubbles to rid the whine. Additives do NOTHING. Trust me I know.

Well I haven been checking for leaks but not seeing any fluid anywhere and the level isn't dropping. That doesn't mean air isn't getting in though.

New reservoir and all new lines might be in store. The way it is tee'd in doesn't look the best either so that could be where. The lines on the steering box look new though.

Also this is an '86 conversion. Same as 87 I guess...

run the car, shine a light into the res. If you can see fluid mixing like a blender that is your issue. I ended up with a PSC res with a filter in the bottom to keep it from aerating. I also slowed the fluid to 2.1 GPM. The size of the res will also hinder you as well, if not big enough. Search some of my threads for the past couple years where I trial and errored.

Alright, thanks man. Does slowing the fluid down mean changing a pulley or a pump? Or just larger lines? I have noticed the aftermarket reservoirs are much larger than the stock res. That will help. I read there was a recall on the original res but this car never did the recall so I think I definitely need that. Will see what is available from vendors here and look at PSC. Thanks again

here are some images with the PSC. Note it has 3 line connections so you can keep away from having to T the return.

Attachments

• 20170317_211242.jpg
    20170317_211242.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 164
  • 20170317_211251.jpg
    20170317_211251.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 152
  • 20170317_211311.jpg
    20170317_211311.jpg
    877.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 20170317_211320.jpg
    20170317_211320.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 163
Making the lines AN 10 from the res to the pump helps alot. Making the res larger helps alot. Also slowing the fluid down keeps the stirring from happening. Dont worry about pump pulley speed. The orfice size being smaller slows the fluid down.

It is definitely doing what you describe, mixing it like a blender. As it ran it got faster in the mixing too. More violent.

The filter at the bottom where the return is seems like that will help a lot. Thanks for the images, at least I know what I have to do now. I didn't want to have to swap the pump but I will if I have to.
I think the pump is fine and doing a line/res change will sort it out.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

I really picked a bad time to quit smoking...

lol...dont waste money on a pump like me!! I bet I have 2k in my setup chasing noise. The reason it gets more violent is due to the fluid getting thin as it heats up.

yup, goes in the top after you remove the line. It takes a 7.8" socket and remove it. It sits on top of the pressure relief valve.

Just get rid of that old reservoir. It was recalled for a reason. I had an 86 GN (25k miles) and the fluid bubbled and whined after a 30 mile cruise. I like the one Toby listed where you don't need a T.

One of the lines goes from the reservoir to the top of the gear box. That is the line that is tee'd for the HB. With the new reservoir it has the 3rd port for the HB so that tee'd line has to be replaced.

The port on the new reservoir is 6AN. Is there an existing line that will go from the steering gear box to a 6AN line or will I need to piece this together? Or for all I know it was put in wrong...

I have been looking around but seems to me this is something I will need to make work. Adapt a return line that is clamped on the hard line return from steering box with a 6AN fitting on the other end.

Any ideas?

When I did mine I took the return from the HB head and sent it to the res. I took the 3rd line and sent it to the steering gear. I made my own line out of russell special fit line. If you need these lines and adapters let me know. I just put in a new Hydratech HB head and plumbed all new line sets. I'd like to rid them to someone that could use them. This would be determined if you are using a PSC res in front of the MC however.

I ordered the PSC res that you suggested as it looks like a nice piece. I did order some steel braided line and AN fittings but this one connection I wasn't sure of. If you have some that work I would gladly pay you for them.

I plan to put the new res in place of the old one so if that qualifies as in front then yes.

c
When I did mine I took the return from the HB head and sent it to the res. I took the 3rd line and sent it to the steering gear. I made my own line out of russell special fit line. If you need these lines and adapters let me know. I just put in a new Hydratech HB head and plumbed all new line sets. I'd like to rid them to someone that could use them. This would be determined if you are using a PSC res in front of the MC however.
Can you post pics of the setup?

Thanks