Installing front coil sprngs

3 foot pry bar - push spring in place -- couple scratches on the LC arm and springs. usually a little bit of blood from the knuckles.
once the spring is finally in place the jack goes under the C Arm and wala all done no special tools or hospital trip.
MAN THE Heck UP.
Do that with an 18" long 225 lb spring then report back.

i use this style
https://mobiledistributorsupply.com/coil-spring-compressor-1.html?gclid=CMiy14uE-tMCFcdMDQodD3AFLg#
, the one above is much nicer and certainly easier to use but pricey for a one time deal
I've used the same thing but with a twist. I remove the shock and then take the tool apart. I put the lower jaws, clamps whatever you want to call them as low as I can get them on the spring. Then I put the
threaded rod through the hole in the body that the shock tower went through and t
I use one of the compressors that have the claws but only use one set. Run the threaded rod thru the hole for the shock and pull it up there. Works great. Put the claws a few coils up so they don't get caught in the lower control
arms.

.View attachment 303624
+1
This is the way I've done it. It compresses the spring much more than using the 2 jaws and is probably as safe as you can get dealing with springs.

Years ago I installed some very heavy duty springs that I couldn't get in any other way. The springs were great if you wanted zero body roll (even without a sway bar) I loved them when I was using the car for recreation. When I started trailering my boat all over the country they were too bone jarring! Anyone wants them I'll let them go cheap!

I got the front springs installed last night. I went with DSE lowering springs. I tried getting the stockers in there but OMG what a bear of a job, and I constantly felt like I was going to die lol. The stock springs are just to hard to compress far enough to get them back into the spring pockets. I compressed the DSE springs maybe an inch, pushed on the bottom of the spring with my foot to get it into the pocket and jacked up on the control arm. Went in with no problems. The method I used was described above by captndave373, threaded rod through the shock hole, 1 pair of the claws grabbing and compressing the spring.

It compresses the spring much more than using the 2 jaws and is probably as safe as you can get dealing with springs.
Both of these compressors are the most dangerous compressors that you can use. The tool that zapp240 provided a link to in post #2 is the safest way to go. It will not come apart while it is compressed.

Last edited:
Both of these compressors are the most dangerous compressors that you can use. The tool that zapp240 provided a link to in post #2 is the safest way to go. It will not come apart while it is compressed.

Absolutely! Came close to losing the "family jewels" w/ one of those j hook things.:arghh:
Bought the OTC, cut the other one up, w/ the plasma cutter. Done deal.

The good news is you don't have to spend $172, endanger your "family jewels", or even use a spring compressor at all to replace springs or do any job that includes removing the lower A-arm.
yup.gif

Those cheap compressors give me anxiety, i always handle the compressed spring with welding gloves on and treat it like im holding a vial of anthrax!