Installing New Gauges

Steve87GN

Oh come on...its just a 6
Hey everyone. So, I have a set of new gauges to install (ScanMasterG, SpeedHut fuel pressure and SpeedHut boost/vacuum) and have a couple questions. First off, where's the best place to supply power and ground for these? Can I use a common feed for all 3? Second, where's the best place to get the vacuum/boost feed from? Thanks as always!!

Teeing into the line that feeds the stock MAP is a good place that's out of the way. As far as power, you can pretty much get that from anywhere close to where your gauges are mounted. They don't pull much current so all you'll need is power ground, and signal wires along with lighting (gray).

For power I usually use an ignition terminal on the fuse box there are like 3 of them. Ground either drill into the metal dash frame or run a ring terminal to the screw that holds the lower dash cover on. I run a lighting wire to the head light switch. Pull it out disconnect the terminal it slides forward and just tee off the wire that turns hot when you turn the marker lights on. It might be the brown wire? When you turn your lights on the lights for the gauges will turn on as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brown is the dimmable ground side. Gray is the hot side of the dash lights.

On my gauges in front of the shifter I got power from the radio power (switched ign is yellow, orange is constant hot) and you can get dash lights from there, or use the empty light socket for the ashtray light on non-console cars under the radio pod.

I never thought to use the radio leads. That's brilliant!! I've got an aftermarket deck and adapter harness already, so this should be easy. Any idea how many gauges I can power from these leads? I've got another triple-gauge pod that mounts to the right of the cluster that I'll be adding in the near future. Thanks for the tip!!

Last edited:
It is the Brown wire behind the light switch, it is only hot when the marker light or headlights are on. So you actually have to hit the button for the lights. The brown wire works I have both of my cars tapped in there and I've done other people's cars there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never thought to use the radio leads. That's brilliant!! I've got an aftermarket deck and adapter harness already, so this should be easy. Any idea how many gauges I can power from these leads? I've got another triple-gauge pod that mounts to the right of the cluster that I'll be adding in the near future. Thanks for the tip!!

You can probably power every gauge you want to with no problem. They pull hardly any power at all.

Last edited:
You can probable power every gauge you want to with no problem. They pull hardly any power at all.

Listen to this guy, he's right. I mean, just look at that mod list! (FYI, I really am being facetious in case it wasn't obvious).

So, quick follow-up questions on this:

1. How does one get the A-pillar off to install the GBodyParts 3-pod A-pillar holder?
2. Where's the best place to route the wiring through the firewall for the gauges?

Thanks!

Remove the screws and pull the A-pillar cover out.

On the drivers side there's a pretty thick grommet for the speedo cable. On the passenger side there's a good spot under the glove box where the vacuum lines for HVAC runt though.

Thanks Earl. I was eyeballing that speedo grommet myself, so I'll take that as confirmation.

As for the cover, I did pull the screws, but it looks like the cover is under the trim piece covers the top inside of the door opening. Any tips, or is that not normal?

Thanks Earl. I was eyeballing that speedo grommet myself, so I'll take that as confirmation.

As for the cover, I did pull the screws, but it looks like the cover is under the trim piece covers the top inside of the door opening. Any tips, or is that not normal?
Loosen the screws on the trim panel going across the top and you can get some slide action out of it. Put your gauge pod in, readjust, and tighten.

Keep it simple wire the ground to the 10mm dash bolt next to the emergency brake pedal power to ign terminal in fuse box and there is also a term in the fuse bix for the lights ni need to splice into a headlight switch just need a couple spades ring term ect

Keep it simple wire the ground to the 10mm dash bolt next to the emergency brake pedal power to ign terminal in fuse box and there is also a term in the fuse bix for the lights ni need to splice into a headlight switch just need a couple spades ring term ect
Wow that's a looong sentence!