Is a Double Roller Chain Needed ? Less than 500HP?ing

Tim Cucci

When is it practical to use a double roller timing chain instead of a quality stock replacement? Is the stock replacement used with a tensioner and will it be quieter than the double roller? Trying to keep the noise down without sacrificing durability or quality. Doing a rebuild now using a FT XR1 Roller Cam. 206/210.

TA Performance sells a single row performance chain & billet gears & is much stronger than stock and still uses a tensioner. Your best bet would be to Contact Nick Micale at Arizona GN.
I installed one of these a few seasons ago & am very happy with it.

It's practical to use one every time . If I'm building a motor I'm putting a good roller master chain on it . I have learned not to cheap out because they will cost you double if not triple later when it lets go .

Being cheap or trying to cheap out has nothing to do with my question. I've got a double roller and and a stock replacement both. Actually I've got two double roller sets. I just wondered if the double was louder or made more noise than the stock replacement of good quality with a tensioner on a close to stock engine? Got nothing to do with cost or being cheap.

Use the double roller. Just remove the tensioner! I have a double roller and there is no noise.

When is it practical to use a double roller timing chain instead of a quality stock replacement? .............

The most "practical" timing set to use is one that has both billet gears, and not one with a cast or powder metal cam gear?

TA carries both a double roller and link chain set with billet gears.

They also carry a entry level set about 1/3rd the price which will last about 1/10th as long!

The most "practical" timing set to use is one that has both billet gears, and not one with a cast or powder metal cam gear?

TA carries both a double roller and link chain set with billet gears.

They also carry a entry level set about 1/3rd the price which will last about 1/10th as long!

Nick, if I understand correctly, TA's link style chain with billet gears utilizes a tensioner vs the double roller chain that does not use a tensioner.