Issues with brake job.

eagleguy

For my 1986 T Type I recently purchased pads, rotors and shoes from Autozone and nothing seems to fit. Does the car require special part numbers and if so please advise. The mechanic is putting all my old stuff back because of the issue and I am pissed off. Any brand and part numbers would be appreciated. For the pads I bought Autozone DG154,shoes 514, rotors 5547. These numbers seem to cross reference correctly but have fitment issues escpecially in the front where either the pads are too thick or the rotor is too thick.

For my 1986 T Type I recently purchased pads, rotors and shoes from Autozone and nothing seems to fit. Does the car require special part numbers and if so please advise. The mechanic is putting all my old stuff back because of the issue and I am pissed off. Any brand and part numbers would be appreciated. For the pads I bought Autozone DG154,shoes 514, rotors 5547. These numbers seem to cross reference correctly but have fitment issues escpecially in the front where either the pads are too thick or the rotor is too thick.
Really surprised at your post, Highway Stars, Kirban's, Gbody parts to name a few that sell our brake parts.

Why? I thought the parts I needed were generic not specialized.
My thinking per your post was to buy what work. Highway stars
parts are GM parts. Kirbans and GBody brakes fit. Who knows what autozone sells. Also supporting a turbo Buick vendor helps support this site

I would think autozone or any chain auto parts would have Regal brake parts in stock. Too bad you couldn't just take back the worn parts and compare them to the new ones, instead of your mechanic creating more work.

You have got to watch Autozone, some of there Reps aren't trained properly .If I were you I would talk with a Manager about getting
a refund . You did say nothing has been modified so the A/Z Brand should work. As mention above there are board vendors that carry
quality replacement brake parts. Me personally I used Wagner Thermo Quiet pads and Raybestos makes a great pad as well. Good Luck.

I have auto zone brake parts. Fit and finish were great...no issues. I would imagine one of the three possibilities occurred:

1) You don't have a stock set up, or...
2) Who ever purchased the parts didn't provide a clear understanding to the rep. Some of them are better than others...you might have been dealing with a newbie and just received the incorrect parts, or...
3) Your "mechanic" took an extra does of "medicinal cannabis".

The last one is just a joke, I am sure your mechanic is very competent and able to perform a basic brake job.

I think you don't have a stock set up or some how just received the wrong parts. No "special" part numbers involved. Just make sure they click on the appropriate selections for the vehicle.

Something I will do is look up the parts myself and print off the "wish list" and bring that in to compare with what they bring to the counter.

Good luck.

Brakes are fine now. Anyone interested in the Kirban set of 3 SS braided lines, package open but not used. I bought them but forgot to give them to the Mechanic. He just replaced my fronts with OEM replacements. PM if interested

I just realized I have no reverse lights. Is this related to changing the booster or anything else brake related?

No... those repairs shouldn't affect your reverse light. Sounds like your console gear shift linkage cable may be out of adjustment or worn out. Have someone watch the rear of your car and gradually pull the gear shifter backward to see if your reverse light come on or flicker.

I just realized I have no reverse lights. Is this related to changing the booster or anything else brake related?

It has to do with that steel rod that goes from the toggle on the side of the transmission up to the steering column. There's a 13mm set bolt that holds it in place. Must have somehow come out of adjustment. Put your selector in reverse, loosen the set bolt and move the rod until the reverse light comes on.

Just ran the car through all the gears with someone behind the car running and nothing. Fuse has to be good since the blinkers and stop lamp works. Found BOTH bulbs blown. Does anyone know what the bulb # is?

Last edited:
I replaced the bulbs and all is well at the moment. However I did break two of the plastic nuts that hold the tail lights on. Can they be had someplace other than a junk yard? If so where??

What a coincident both reverse lights went at the same time, never happen to me in 30 years only one at a time. You shouldn't have a hard time finding those wing nuts check any auto salvage yard or try any GM parts dealer they where still in stock a few years back.

Took the car out this weekend and at one point the drivers side was pulling when the brakes were applied but then things were OK after a couple of additional stops. Things are back to normal now, any ideas?

Brakes are fine now. Anyone interested in the Kirban set of 3 SS braided lines, package open but not used. I bought them but forgot to give them to the Mechanic. He just replaced my fronts with OEM replacements. PM if interested

Next time you have it at your mechanics for something have him put on the three SS braided lines. The pedal will be much more solid, even new rubber hoses swell under pressure and provide a slightly spongy pedal feel. After all, you did buy them for a reason. I love mine.
I know it seems like a waste of money to replace new hoses, but it is a Turbo Buick and you will spend more for less. I'm sure you know that already.