Ive been here for a year, but have questions

OGLxSinist3r

I posted an official introduction for myself around a year ago. I've have sold all of my projects to clear some room for a real car. I've been lurking the forums here for about a year, and reading some stuff. Indirectly or directly to what I've read on the forums here, I've started doing some homework on what I want in a Turbo Buick. Ideally, I'm looking for a 1987 Buick Turbo T in either White or Gun Metal grey. I'm looking to build a bad ass street car, but have not set a limitation on what kind of power or what kind of track times I'd like to see. Put it this way, some 8 years ago I build an 8 second streetable turbo charged Mustang that when not in the boost and advancing fuel, it got around 22mpg.It was a modular motored powered beast, but I had a ton of cash into this car being that it was a drag radial car. I could go into full details on the build, but this is a GM, more specifically a GN/Turbo Regal site, but you guys being fellow gear heads, you get the point. Fast forward to now, I no longer own my own business (I now work for Navistar), and have 3 kids. My financial obligations have changed. I've read a lot of for sale adds, and there are a lot of cars posted that I'd love to buy, but financially I'm not ready yet. I like to do a few years of homework before pulling the trigger. So now that the background is out of the way here, I have a few questions.

I'm not necessarily after a Grand National. I'd like a Turbo T of a T Type in Grey, Silver, or White. I like the idea of T tops, but besides the typical water leaks and seal issues, what are the draw backs? It seems that MOST of you on here prefer hardtop Turbo Regals/GN's. Why is that? I figure with the car being full framed car, T tops shouldn't weaken it too much. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I'd really prefer T Tops, but if you guys can give me some feedback, it will help out greatly.

Trans: I'm in the Chicago area, who builds these 200R4's good in the area? Would a built 700R4 be worth to swap in? Sidenote: I'm not looking to build an 8 sec car here, I've been out of the game for so long, an 11 sec or 10 sec TR would be great, but I may go faster down the line. I'm more focused on finding a solid car to start out with.

As far as a stahl, I'm thinking that 3200 to 3500rpm would be great for the street. I plan on driving the hell out of said car April through October in nicer weather.

I'm sure I'll have some more questions the further I dive into this, but these are the key things I'm looking at. I'm looking on building a summer DD that is really stout for the street, and I can take to the track and run some good times. Any info you guys can offer to me at this point, please fire away. I've been a Ford guy MOST of my life, so now its time to learn again.

I corrected my typos in the above post. When I was originally posting, my kids were running around the house like crazys before going to bed...lol!

Troll away, and welcome to the dark side..... A lot of great people and info here as you have seen. Weather is getting nice and the site slows down a little come car season. Bench racing is over once spring is here.
If I where you I'd hook up with the chi-town gang. They know how is who in your area.
Good luck.
Ronnie
And as far as answering some of your questions.....they kinda of all run together. Until you find a car or at least a goal.?????????????

Thank you. I'm looking for answers and doing some homework here. I've read about the importance of the scanmaster and the oil. I also just found an 87 GN with t tops that has 99k on it for a friend of mine at work here. He picked the car up for $4700 because a tree fell on it 2 years ago. Prior to that, the car was just painted! Infraction the Guy put it outside to work on it the next day, came out and found a huge tree on the l/r quarter laying over the trunk. Basically the car needs a new qp, new trunk, LR tail light, LR bumper filler and a dent fixed in the roof. Since I've been reading up the tr's I've decided to help him get this one back on the road as well. We are saving this GN. Short of the body work, the car is clean, even the underside. It runs okay, but is a little rich. Needs a tune up and I told him from what I read, a scanmaster is a must.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'm very fluent with Turbo engines...but Turbo diesels at that. I work for Navistar (owns International) as a calibration tech. I run the engines on the dyno and change stuff in the calibrations to tweek performance and emissions data. I'm here now working 3rd shift, so this is primarily the time I'm on the site.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app