Little help. Please

bitchin_buick

Cragar Keystone Klassics
I have an 82' regal and would like to redo the rear-end. If my research is correct I have a 7.5 gearbox and the G.N. has a 8.5... Is that correct so far??? Any ideas Of other GM cars that are 8.5 besides the G.N. that would fit on my regal.Are Cutlass/Grand prix small 7.5's like my regal? Would like to go to a bone yard and find a rear-end with better gears, Or at least the rear-axle and housing to put better gears in them . Would a caddilac or la'sabre work????? DON'T WORRY, I HAVE THE 3.8NA SO ANY SECRETS YOU GIVE ME WON'T MAKE MY CAR FASTER THAN YOURS... LOL. NO REALLY CRYING ON THE INSIDE... SNIFF.. SNIFF.... Thank you!

Monte ss. 442's, hurst olds, or if you're wanting to do a little work, an A body from the early 70's but you have to modify the control arm mounts by bending them a little

Will my stock axleshaft that fits my 7.5 gearbox/rearend also fit into a 8.5?

It depends on what transmission you have.

I converted a na 3.8 87 car that had the metric 3 speed trans and 7.5 rear end, once i installed the 8.5 in the car, i was able to reuse the 7.5 driveshaft for a month before i did the final swap.

You might do some research
BW

Yup, my chiltons shows where my axle code is on it, but ya good luck trying to read it. Need to get off my lazy ass and climb under her to find out what trani I have (thm-200 or 250) Working on the research by asking you guys!;)

Yup, my chiltons shows where my axle code is on it, but ya good luck trying to read it. Need to get off my lazy ass and climb under her to find out what trani I have (thm-200 or 250) Working on the research by asking you guys!;)

You did notice the 7.5 has fangs and the 8.5 has pyramids on the bottom half of the pumpkin?

rearend

Quick- Was your stock 7.5 about 4.11 gears???What size gears did u put in the 8.5?

Stock gears in the 7.5 were 2.41 on my sage green 87 regal, now it has the 8.5 with the standard 3.42 gears

My white car in sig just has upgraded axles, best 60' times at the nationals this year were 1.50 and 1.51 back to back.

BW

Yes sir, I went too the olds site. thanks. I'm not trying do any racing so i should be able to keep my 7.5 If i keep my 7.5box what would a good set of gears to go with? something to get me away from a red light better than i can now with my fatty BF Goodrich's.

I was driving my car at the time, went from 2.41 to the 3.42 swap and it made a good amount of difference. You could install a 2004r and a D5 convertor (gn) and throw a set of 3:73 gears in your 7.5 and it will make a world of a difference. The 84-85 GN 2004rs are dirt cheap for the power level your looking at, its the low first gear that really makes a difference.
I dont think your going to break the 7.5 with your current engine.

BW

Thanks as always for your help. Just a new guy that is not intimidated to learn new things and do the work myself. May take longer doing it myself, but it is all worth it. thanks again....I already did all the cosmetic work this summer( painting) and the front suspension. time to do the rear suspension, ect... ect...

I've got a set of 3.42 in a camaro axle sitting at my house if you want them. It's got new side bearings but needs pinion bearings. It's also a 7&5/8 which will fit the 7.5 axle. I kept the axle for the rear disc set up and mine has 3.42 and posi so I don't need them.

Before i make any descions, I'm doing more homework. Got books from the library and my trustee chiltons. So, if I'm following u guys correctly the higher ther gear # the better get up and go I will have. My ? is why then doesn't eveyone go with 3.73 or higher? Is it because with a stronger engine and driving long periods at a high rate of speed will F-EM-up?? But since I have the 3.8NA i can get away with it???? wonder what shipping to good ole ohio would be? Fast or Slow---G-BODIES KICK ASS!

I was driving my car at the time, went from 2.41 to the 3.42 swap and it made a good amount of difference. You could install a 2004r and a D5 convertor (gn) and throw a set of 3:73 gears in your 7.5 and it will make a world of a difference. The 84-85 GN 2004rs are dirt cheap for the power level your looking at, its the low first gear that really makes a difference.
I dont think your going to break the 7.5 with your current engine.

BW
2400 series? summit has them. I've dropped a tranni before but that was 10 years ago. dont remember it being all that terible. When the day comes and the trani is out is the torque converter much of a hassle?