Lower radiator hose replacement suggestions

Anthony P

sharing knowledge with those who care to listen
The original hose, 25523616, has about a 6" straight section of hose connecting to the water pump. The aftermarket hoses have an offset bend here. I searched old threads, scanned a few hundred of them, some back to 2002. I am not concerned about the lack of the internal spring in today's hoses.

The concern others noted in those threads was that this offset places the hose closer to the header (stock and Kenne Bell) and others have noted fitment just is not right or like the original.

Someone noted that this hose with the offset is the more common NA hose and that is what the aftermarket has settled on. The GM hose is long discontinued. below are pics of an original GM hose from my '86 engine display plus the aftermarkets. I don't want to take NOS parts from the engine displays to use on the car as service parts.

GM hose...........Gates 21211.....NAPA NBH7922

P1020805.JPGlower_rad_hose - Gates 21211.jpglower_rad_hose - NAPA NBH7922.jpg

The AC Delco 26069X looks to have the offset bend as well.

Pics of the Dayco E71756 are not clear enough to confirm offset design or straight. The orientation in the rock auto pic makes it hard to tell. Also, this Dayco hose lists the GM part no. as an alternate reference.

Does the Dayco have the same offset bend at the water pump like and Gates and Napa?

Has anyone had any problems or fitment issues using the Dayco, Gates or Napa hose? TIA

Thank-you. Those silicone hoses look spot-on. Unfortunately, I can't use them on this original stocker. For me, the metallic sheen of silicone hoses doesn't look right on this survivor.

Thank-you. Those silicone hoses look spot-on. Unfortunately, I can't use them on this original stocker. For me, the metallic sheen of silicone hoses doesn't look right on this survivor.
I don't know that you'll have any other choice. I went out to the garage to look at my hose and saw that it was straight in the area that you are talking about. I don't think I've ever replaced mine. Every other hose I saw online had the bend and not a word about it in the description. I don't see this bent hose working on my car because my Kenne-Bell headers are right there.

I don't know that you'll have any other choice. I went out to the garage to look at my hose and saw that it was straight in the area that you are talking about. I don't think I've ever replaced mine. Every other hose I saw online had the bend and not a word about it in the description. I don't see this bent hose working on my car because my Kenne-Bell headers are right there.

Exactly. The earliest thread I found about the aftermarket hoses was this one in 2002. http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/correct-lower-radiator-hose.56345/

The OP asked the same question then as I am now. The solution 15 years ago was just buy a GM hose. In all those old threads I read this morning, it was Eric Fisher (Turbofish38) or Herb Fishman (TurboRegal84) who called out the bend is the NA style. And somewhere in the 10 to 15 year ago range, Brian noted he was looking into having someone make a correct hose once all the incorrect aftermarket stock was not saturating the market.

In this thread from 2013, http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/87-lower-radiator-hose.389949/, Spooling noted the Dayco hose matches up "Purrrrfektleeeeee."

I just don't know. I would think that since the TB vendors who sell hoses are selling a NAPA, Gates or Dayco hose as seen by their part pic combined with individual knowledge of the manufacturer's labels, more folks would have brought this potential fitment issue front and center. But there really is not much rumbling about it. Maybe most folks like you and I are still using the original hoses or newer GM hoses when they were available.

I'll call a few folks tomorrow who are doing turnkey restorations and ask what they are using. From there, I'll experiment with a Dayco, Gates or NAPA hose. They are all cheap enough to experiment with.

As a side note, there are a few TB vendors who still have old stock of the UPPER GM hose 25525229. AND, as alternatives, the aftermarket upper hoses do look correct as well. Looks like I have more research to do tonight and tomorrow.

The aftermarket uppers are spot on. During my search,in the last few minutes,I was thinking the Dayco might be right but I don't think so based on the pictures I've seen. Some of the pictures don't give you a very good angle. I do see that the Dayco has a spring inside it.

When you do a Google search for grand national lower radiator hose,you are led to Dayco 71083. This is the wrong one that even Kirbans sells or he uses the wrong picture. It looks like the Dayco 71756 is correct and on ebay it is shown as fitting Grand Nationals.

Dayco 71756 This is the number in your link that the guy said fit perfectly. It sure does look right.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...0.Xdayco+71756.TRS0&_nkw=dayco+71756&_sacat=0

the stock pic on ebay is larger and more clear than that on rock auto. From that orientation, it looks like the waterpump end is straight, but with that orientation, the offset is curving towards you. I agree, can't exactly tell. I zoomed the image and it actually looks like the GM part no is printed on the waterpump "straight" section, lengthwise, terminating at the hose end. It may just be printed on there in like 1/2 inch high numbers. What had me scratching my head was the use of the GM part no. as an alternate for the Dayco 71756 as seen on the info page from rock auto here http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1116334&cc=1020957&jsn=417

Looks like I'll start the experiment with the Dayco hose. Thanks for sharing thoughts and confirmations as I research this.

I In the link you posted,delco #26069X and Gates21211 look to be the same and are shaped a little differently than the Dayco and look like the might also work. If they are shaped the way they appear to be they might even be better,but again it's not real clear. Oreillys has the Gates 21211 and Summit has the Delco 26069X. They advertise it with the alternate part number given in the link you provided 88908767.

no anti abrasion sleeve. it's just a GM hose - identical to the one in my original post but with a July '87 date code. super tough to see as the printing is facing the passenger side at the radiator end.

I In the link you posted,delco #26069X and Gates21211 look to be the same and are shaped a little differently than the Dayco and look like the might also work. If they are shaped the way they appear to be they might even be better,but again it's not real clear. Oreillys has the Gates 21211 and Summit has the Delco 26069X. They advertise it with the alternate part number given in the link you provided 88908767.

the Gates, NAPA and Delco hoses could use that offset to move away from the header and then back to connect to the water pump. But the more I stare at those brand's pics, it almost looks like the length before the 90* to the pump is too long and the offset is used to bring the hose back in alignment with the pump, if that makes sense. That concern combined with searching old posts and finding others saying the same thing 15 years ago got me thinking the aftermarket hoses may have differences between brands and that none of them fit as well as the original GM part. I'll keep updating as I experiment. At least there will be an updated thread on this topic.

The hose on my car looks like the Dayco. I'm curious,so I'm gonna have to go to Oreillys and see if they will order the Gates so I can look at it without a commitment to buy. If it is shaped like I think it is, I might buy it.

just finished call with Dayco rep...

the 71756 lower radiator hose in their system is shown to apply to only 1 vehicle - the '87 buick regal with turbo. He noted Dayco has not installed springs in hoses for many years noting the rusting spring pieces braking off and destroying water pump impellers and clogging coolant passages plus it would cost too much to use a stainless steel spring. And the industry standard specs for molded coolant hoses have been changed over the years noting the hose should not collapse under suction from the water pump during normal operation. he also said Dayco does not typically print an OE part # on the hose, but that is not 100 percent.

On the Dayco website, there is a tab to do a competitor or OE lookup cross reference by part #. type in the GM # 25523616 and the result is the dayco 71756. http://www.daycoproducts.com/parts?oe_number=25523616+

It says the Gates 21211 is NOT a direct cross. http://www.daycoproducts.com/parts?oe_number=21211

also, the delco 26069X and the NAPA 7922 are NOT direct cross matches.

I'm going to order the Dayco 71756 from Advance. Should have an update next week.

Highway Stars advertises a replacement lower hose and they reference the 25523616 number and the hose in their picture has the incorrect bend. Here is a link to the ebay sale of a genuine GM 25523616 lower hose. They let you know that it isn't the Dayco 71756 but a genuine GM part and it is shaped like the Dayco,so they are aware that the Dayco is the correct hose.

https://www.google.com/search?q=255...Q7AkIPA&biw=1093&bih=510#imgrc=RmJ00CM07MT8QM:

It says the Gates 21211 is NOT a direct cross.
Yes,and they show the 21211 to be the exact match for the 71083 which is the wrong one with the unwanted bend/NA. The picture shown of the 21211 and the 26069X are identical to each other and,while they are not an exact match to the GM and Dayco,they do look like they will work so I'm still gonna see if I can lay my eyes on one.

I recently had the same issue with the lower hose on my 22,000 original mile car. The lower hose I took off was original. First I bought a Gates hose from rock auto and it didn't fit. I got the lower reproduction hose from GBodyparts and it fit just like the original.

I recently had the same issue with the lower hose on my 22,000 original mile car. The lower hose I took off was original. First I bought a Gates hose from rock auto and it didn't fit. I got the lower reproduction hose from GBodyparts and it fit just like the original.
The only lower hose that I know of that is offered by G Body is made from very shiny black silicone. Is this what you have?
Do you know what the part number is of the Gates hose you bought from Rock Auto?

I purchased my lower silicone hose from Nick Micale. It's beefy and can be turned further away from the header than the stock hose. Did I mention it's really beefy. Excellent hose.