Lower radiator hose replacement suggestions

I see that the only Gates hose they sell at Rock Auto is the 21211. They also sell the Delco 26069X,so i don't think I'll bother Oreillys for a look at the Gates hose. It sure did look like there was no option other than the silicone hose from G Body,so I'm very happy that the Dayco is available and utterly dismayed at how many places sell the incorrect hose while the correct one is still available.

I see that the only Gates hose they sell at Rock Auto is the 21211. They also sell the Delco 26069X,so i don't think I'll bother Oreillys for a look at the Gates hose. It sure did look like there was no option other than the silicone hose from G Body,so I'm very happy that the Dayco is available and utterly dismayed at how many places sell the incorrect hose while the correct one is still available.

I agree I don't know why it's such a problem. If I recall, I believe the one I got from G body is actually the Dayco hose. I will check later when I get home.

I believe the one I got from G body is actually the Dayco hose. I will check later when I get home.
It has to be,but when I go to their web site I can't find it. Even if I search lower radiator hose it only shows the silicone reproduction hoses.

Ok this time when I went back to G Body,I searched for radiator hose instead of lower radiator hose and it showed the rubber and silicone choises.

It has to be,but when I go to their web site I can't find it. Even if I search lower radiator hose it only shows the silicone reproduction hoses.

I have difficulty navigating that site as well. If I click Buick then performance then cooling/rad pipes from the left side categories, you only get 30 parts results and the only radiator hoses are those silicone ones.

I did finally find a way to the above link. You have to click Buck then Appearance then engine where you get 130 results over 5 pages. the rubber hoses are toward the bottom of page 4. Definitely not the most user friendly site or easy to find stuff. I too did a quick search earlier for lower radiator hose and only the silicone hose set showed up in the results.

I agree I don't know why it's such a problem. If I recall, I believe the one I got from G body is actually the Dayco hose. I will check later when I get home.

Monteperformanc, This would be great to know and confirm what Ttype6 and I have been researching.

I should have the Dayco 71756 in hand tomorrow afternoon. ordered it this afternoon from advance, $14 with sales tax. I'll post some pics with the GM hose when I get it.

The label is gone I took it off when I installed it but I'm 99% sure it's the Dayco lower hose. Same one listed on rock auto.

02757cd779bd7a0c8fc0db764fd9136b.jpg

I just did a search for Dayco 71756 on google and Summit was one of the sources offered. Summit has the correct Dayco hose but they don't tell you what it fits. If you do a search on Summit's site for grand national radiator hose,it will offer all of the usual incorrect suspects but not the Dayco 71756. Again,I'm so glad that we still have the Dayco. It just seems like no one wants us to find it.

I just did a search for Dayco 71756 on google and Summit was one of the sources offered. Summit has the correct Dayco hose but they don't tell you what it fits. If you do a search on Summit's site for grand national radiator hose,it will offer all of the usual incorrect suspects but not the Dayco 71756. Again,I'm so glad that we still have the Dayco. It just seems like no one wants us to find it.

Rock auto has it same number 14.50 plus shipping. I bought both uppper and lower a few months ago, fit perfect.

I got one from Nick, too. Very nice piece.

From Rock Auto using original part number as search criteria. It's a DAYCO 71756. The long piece on the bottom of the Dayco doesn't have the little bend in it like the original or Nick's.

DY_71756_Fro__ra_p.jpg

This is the difference Turbo T Guy is talking about. My 87 has the correct hose with the bend that does give more clearance near the stock header and heat shield. The heat shield is not on the TA replacement header in the photo. The 86 in the first photo is the Dayco with the stock header and heat shield, it does not have the bend down away from the header.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    853.7 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 129
Rock auto has it same number 14.50 plus shipping. I bought both uppper and lower a few months ago, fit perfect.
Not if you search for regal with 3.8 sfi turbo. You'll only find it if you already know the part number and search it which is one of the problems we've been talking about. Even Advanced Auto doesn't offer it as a possible fit for a turbo Buick. No one does that I've been able to find. Also,if you go to Advance Auto and enter a turbo Regal as your selected vehicle,you'll never find the Dayco 71756. The 71756 number was found by Anthony P in an old thread during a search on this site. It was among a list of possible numbers. It could not be found until the number was searched. If a person doesn't know what the correct number is he will likely never find it. The only correct fitting hose I was able to find when I didn't know the part number was the silicone hose from G Body and even during the search on G Body it didn't show the Dayco rubber hose which they do sell.

After all of this investigation,the correct Dayco 71756 is readily available at Advanced Auto and it is less expensive than any other place and you don't have to pay for shipping. But,even there you'll need to know the correct part number because their system will not pull that number up as a possible replacement hose for a turbo Regal.

wanted to summarize stuff in case someone did not want to read all the posts....

'86 and '87 (intercooled) turbo Buicks used lower radiator hose GM 25523616 which is a direct match to Dayco 71756.

'84 and '85 hot air turbo buicks AND the NA 231 V6 applications used lower radiator hose GM 1261444 and 1264041 which are a direct match to Dayco 71083.

The difference between the two hose designs is that the 71756 has a straight section about 6 inches long leading into the water pump while the 71083 has an additional offset bend here. The Dayco 71083 has a displacement length 4 inches longer than the 71756.
Dayco 71756 length.jpg Dayco 71083 length.jpg

The hot air cars did not have an oil cooler adapter or the accompanying oil hoses at the filter so the space occupied by that longer hose is not a problem. Referencing the pic in post 29 by monteperformanc, there is no place to loose 4 inches of hose on the '86 - '87 TBs using the factory oil cooler and stock or aftermarket headers. Lil Truck's 2nd pic in post 33 shows the 71083 installed with TA headers. It only fits because their are no factory oil cooler lines to work around. The offset in this 71083 hose works well to get more clearance to the TA headers but again, won't fit if using stock oil cooler and oil hoses.

The problem is that brick and mortar stores, on-line stores and some TB vendors are mixing up these hoses. AND that is a big problem. Search by year, make, model, engine, aspiration...the results are a complete crapshoot.

Rock Auto....search for 87 TB => results are Gates 21211, Continental 61043, Delco 26069X. These 3 all have the offset and are the same as Dayco 71083. All 3 are WRONG.
.........................................................................Dayco 71756 is the only correct hose and cross references directly with GM original hose 25523616.
.....................search for 86 TB => results are Gates 21211, Continental 61043, Delco 26069X. WRONG. The correct Dayco 71756 is not even listed as the Dayco rep I spoke with noted the 71756 is only in their system for an 87 TB.
.....................search for 84 or 85 TB => results are Gates 21211, Continental 61043, Delco 26069X and Dayco 71083. Well, the hot air cars are correct.

Advance Auto Parts.....search for 87 TB => result is Dayco 71756.
.....................................search for 86 TB => the only result is for a flex hose, Dayco 81221 - a 30 inch long hose!:wideyed: There is no mention of Dayco 71756 as I noted above, Dayco only has 71756 applying to 1 vehicle - the 87 TB.
.....................................search for 84 or 85 TB => result is Dayco 71083. Hot air cars are correct here also.

NAPA...........search for an 87 TB or any TB => NBH 7922 - the hose with the offset curve. only good for NA and hot air. 7922 is a direct crossover to Dayco 71083.

Autozone.....search for 87 TB => result is Dayco 71756.
.....................................search for 86 TB => the only result is for a flex hose, Dayco 81221. There is no mention of Dayco 71756 as I noted above, Dayco only has 71756 applying to 1 vehicle - the 87 TB.
.....................................search for 84 or 85 TB => result is Dayco 71083. Hot air cars are correct here also.

OReilly's only lists the Gates 21211. Wrong for 86 and 87 TB's.

HIghway Stars pic shows the offset hose, 71083 or equivalent, which is wrong and he says it is an exact match to the original 25523616. Not true.

Kirban's part #6842 pic shows the offset hose noting it is correct for 84-87 TBs. Not so. Hot airs used that hose, intercooled cars did not.

You saw what Ttype6 noted about how searching on Summit worked out. not.

I could go on but I think the reader get the point. I'll call some of the TB vendors next week to offer this info. But many times vendors get salty no matter how nicely you try to help them make improvements or corrections.

Thanks T-Type and Anthony P.

I research the hell out these boards and would have come to the conclusion that there were no lower radiator hoses that fit. I was actually looking to replace that the lower radiator hose soon so this came at a good time for me! Appreciate the effort.

Not if you search for regal with 3.8 sfi turbo. You'll only find it if you already know the part number and search it which is one of the problems we've been talking about. Even Advanced Auto doesn't offer it as a possible fit for a turbo Buick. No one does that I've been able to find. Also,if you go to Advance Auto and enter a turbo Regal as your selected vehicle,you'll never find the Dayco 71756. The 71756 number was found by Anthony P in an old thread during a search on this site. It was among a list of possible numbers. It could not be found until the number was searched. If a person doesn't know what the correct number is he will likely never find it. The only correct fitting hose I was able to find when I didn't know the part number was the silicone hose from G Body and even during the search on G Body it didn't show the Dayco rubber hose which they do sell.

Yes it does come up under the 3.8 SFI turbo I checked before I posted. It's the last one on the list and where I ordered it from. Check again!

Last edited:
just picked up the order from Advance.... here is a side by side pic of GM 25523616 and Dayco 71756. they are the same. we already concluded that but I thought a side by side pic would be helpful. The Dayco hose has no white printed part #'s or other details like directional arrows like the GM original. The printing on the GM hose on my GN is on the side facing the passenger side and really can't be seen anyway.

Dayco 71756 + GM.JPG

While the Dayco 71756 is not stocked at the local parts stores like Autozone or Advance, it is stocked in their local supplying warehouses. I ordered it yesterday afternoon from Advance and it was delivered to my local store overnight. No shipping charges, just order in-store and put a deposit on the order. I had to wait 'til this afternoon for a different part for another car to be sent from another store. In any case, I got my parts in less than 24 hours and the hose was 14 bucks with sales tax. AND it is correct.

The Dayco project manager gave me his contact info. I'll reach out to him next week to ask about getting the 71756 into their system for the '86 TB's as well rather than their listing of that stupid 30 inch flex hose for the '86. That database change should correct the search results for 86 TB's via Autozone and Advance and at least the 71756 would be listed on RockAuto for the '86. Ttype6 was striking out everywhere he looked because he has an '86 and looked up '86.

now this NOS GM hose can go back on the '86 engine display and the Dayco can go on the GN.:D

Yes it does come up under the 3.8 SFI turbo
Not 1986. I have an 86,so that's how I searched for it. When you search that way,you're only offered options for the lower hose and The Dayco 71756 is not on the list of choices. There's no category for upper hose.

I was just at the site and entered 1987 and was offered choices for upper and lower hoses and The Dayco 71756 was the last one on the list of choices for lower hose.The only hose in the list of hoses that is the correct hose is the last one on the list. Sweeeeeet!