Lower radiator hose replacement suggestions

Dennis,

I have a set of very good driver quality arch/blades (not wiper arms) that I just replaced if you should want/need them to use as templates for remanufacture.

It appears that Gates is not interested in investing to make a correct hose for the 86-87 turbo buicks. They are happy to call it good enough with their part # 21211, even though it will hit the header and conflict with the oil cooler hoses on 86-87 applications. Most likely cost to make vs number of annual units sold just is not profitable. Same scenario on my other thread investigating why the aftermarket has not made the boost control solenoids - not enough demand, not worth the cost.

So I have to applaud Dayco for investing in the tooling to make a correctly molded lower hose for 86-87, part # 71756.

Apparently, HighwayStars pulled their listing after my call for a few days for the Gates lower radiator hose they sell. But it has since been relisted as it was before - too bad.

To make this a complete and thorough thread, I'll add some info about the upper radiator hose here as well. Many have said the aftermarket is correct regarding the actual fabrication of a molded upper radiator hose. That is correct. The problem is how one finds the correct hose. do a parts lookup for 87 and you'll get a Dayco 71755. That is spot-on correct. But a look up for 86 - you may not get a molded hose part and if you do, it is an incorrect 71082. I asked Dayco to correct the listing so that the 71755 upper radiator hose is correctly listed for 86 turbo regals. I should get a confirmation next week. Then, next month's e-catalog update will have both the 86 updates for 71755 and 71756 when searched at Advance and Autozone. Dayco's website has already added/updated the listing for 86 turbo regal lower radiator hose seen here: http://www.daycoproducts.com/parts?...make=7&modeltype=2&model=75&description=11820

It's refreshing that Dayco is ready, willing and able to listen and correct/update their offerings. We should take note of that support to our small turbo buick community.

Last edited:
I just bought one from Auto Zone , it took a day or two to get here but fits fine , It does not have the metal spring in it tho

I just bought one from Auto Zone , it took a day or two to get here but fits fine , It does not have the metal spring in it tho

the Dayco rep had noted it has been a decade, maybe longer, since the lower radiator hose was manufactured with an internal spring. Because of the liabilities of rusting springs and broken fragments destroying wp impellers and clogging coolant passages together with changes in materials and manufacturing processes brought about by updates and changes to the SAE specs for all molded coolant hoses, internal springs are no longer necessary.

Some have said the only reason for the internal spring was to prevent hose collapse during coolant filling on the assembly line.

All molded coolant hoses have to meet the specs below. Copied directly from Dayco but applies to the entire aftermarket of molded coolant hoses sold in the US. http://www.daycoproducts.com/dayco®-molded-radiator-and-bypass-hose

"Designed to replace original equipment manufacturer hose, Dayco Molded Radiator and Bypass Hose are built with knitted reinforcement and EPDM construction which provides high strength and resistance to oil, mud, salt, road debris, ozone, coolants, and temperature variations of -40˚F (-40˚C) to +257˚F (+125˚C) that are required for OEM hose replacements. The inner base tube is reinforced with knitted rayon for maximum strength and burst resistance for the life of the hose. The Dayco Molded Radiator and Bypass Hose has a convenient plastic hang strap for quick and easy merchandising. In addition to meeting SAE J20R4, Class D-1 requirements, this hose is now designed to meet Type EC electro- chemical requirements as specified in SAE J1684."

I'll just accept that the materials, manufacturing processes and technologies today have eliminated the spec for an internal spring.

I ordered the Dayco hose from AutoZone. The coolant was always rusty after flushing and found this when I took the spring out of the original lower radiator hose.

bce903f12f61b76f7b95df189f0b2d27.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

pmesfun,

Thanks for sharing your findings. It's a needed clear example how the spring deteriorates even in our well maintained turbo buicks. AND the above spring was from an original hose. Glad to see there were not pieces missing and that you were able to remove it in one piece for this show and tell example.

I think this is something we all need to be aware of - even for those super low mileage collector cars. The GM markings on the lower hose typically are facing the frame making the markings and part numbers tough to see.

Today's molded coolant hoses are constructed of re-engineered materials that resist vacuum collapse and have been that way for more than a decade, according to the Dayco rep I have been speaking with.

Replaced the hose today. Here are some comparision pictures and how bad the spring was rusting inside the hose.

4eec41896f143060197a9f1b7b6bb03a.jpg
b27ad32fb9d26e440471d49420c0c7b2.jpg
905a8d0fdbce4dc6a78ee8df7b523eff.jpg
73ea799c9a7460d926efa4e13e467dba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Great news! Dayco has confirmed the update to their e-catalog listing to include the UPPER hose 71755 for the 86 turbo buicks. Previously, the 71755 was only listed for 87 TBs. A previously listed incorrect molded hose has been deleted from the search results per my request. Now, a search by year, make, model, engine will produce the correct OEM replacement radiator hoses for both 86 and 87 turbo buicks.

For those who have not seen this thread, Dayco retailers like Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, Rock Auto, etc. will have this e-catalog update soon so as to update their year, make, model, engine search results.

the updated Dayco listings for 86 turbo buicks is here: http://www.daycoproducts.com/parts?...ake=10&modeltype=1&model=73&description=11824

I reached out to Highway Stars. Unfortunately, they are not interested in this topic.

Perhaps they will continue to sell the Gates 21211 lower radiator hose meant for hot air and NA applications for ALL 84-87 turbo buicks. It is misleading that their part description notes the 86-87 GM part # 25523616, states their hose is molded as original, but they picture and sell only the hot air hose.

I was informed that Highway Stars has corrected their listing for the lower radiator hose. They now show a picture of the 86-87 Dayco hose side-by-side with an original GM hose. http://www.highwaystars.net/hose-lower-radiator-replaces-gm-25523616/

Who knows why their product rep. Juan chose to argue the point that all 84-87 turbo Buicks use the same lower radiator hose during my courtesy call to them on May 10th. At the time, Juan noted that he should know because he owns 3 GNs.

It's a good thing that Glen and Leslie finally accepted the facts and corrected their product offering and part description for all customers.