Ls swap, using 3.8 down / exhaust?

Curless Auto

So we have a project we are kicking around... 80 Grand Prix, 5.7 LS swapped with a boost cam... now it needs the boost part. So anyone out there ever try using TR existing parts? You know, down pipe, exhaust, front mount all from a TR will fit any G body... why re invent the wheel? Extend the down pipe to reach further forward, you have to make your manifolds fit anyways so just make them fit the TR set up...seems like it would work fine. I searched it a few times but have found nothing. Please chime in with your thoughts!

........ why re invent the wheel? Extend the down pipe to reach further forward, you have to make your manifolds fit anyways so just make them fit the TR set up...seems like it would work fine. I searched it a few times but have found nothing. Please chime in with your thoughts!

Sounds simple, but the extra 2 cylinders and another header pipe on the AC side make this a very difficult and restricted area for downpipe access which is why you cannot find it being done.

I like doing projects into new areas, but when we installed a LSA engine in a GN, the AC box had to go especially because it was also slated to be a compound set-up with a couple turbo.

You WILL be re-inventing the wheel with that project, good luck! :)

For serious steam, that 3" dp is not what you'll need. Most larger turbos, such as the BW400SX3 I have, is 4". Bigger and it's 5"!
I posted some pics of the set up, some time back. I may have them on the PC, if you need them. I can email them to you.
What Nick said about the ac, is correct. U would be chopping/cutting a dp to try to make it clear. All dependent on engine location.

3.5" downpipe here connected to pypes turbo Buick cat-back. Still have ac and factory ac box. Also, using the eBay Gn front mount intercooler.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I rode w/bigmandengo.:eek: Thank you sir, I think.

Its a fun car no doubt. Seat of the pants tells me LOTZ getting to the ground with room to improve. If only I was 40 years younger.:oldman:

Last edited: