Making Rear License Plate Stay Down

rodruckus

Taking out the Euro trash
I keep coming across posts claiming that the original rear license plate doesn't stay down. Actually, it was designed to stay down with the help of your gas cap. So, I thought I'd post a pic showing how to make it do just that. This should also any questions you may've had about why that notch is cut into it as well. It does serve a purpose. As long as you have a gas cap, there's really no need for a stay down license plate.

Attachments

• IMG_20160617_181114612.jpg
    IMG_20160617_181114612.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Every time the stay down crap comes I feel like a genius for doing what you posted.
Or
I am too dumb to understand the need for one.

I remember my buddy acting like he cured cancer when he figured this out. I thought everyone figures it out pretty quick. Anyway despite having this knowledge I installed a stay down plate because I hated when the cap would pop out when you brushed the plate with the gas nozzle. For 15 bucks I don't have to worry about fetching the cap from under the car anymore.

Lol I've always been puzzled when it's talked about like this way is hard lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Or you could just buy one of the stay down frames from a vendor.

Or you could just buy one of the stay down frames from a vendor.

I did just that. I have yet to install the dang thing because I just use the gas cap like it should be done. Not sure why OP puts the cap upside down, though. No gas on your hands if you put it in the slot with the top up:D

Honestly guys,

How fucking hard is it to use the stock set up?

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 235
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 226
Last edited:
So, let me get this straight......

You installed a different plate holder and now you have to have a clip to make the plate stay up? :confused:

Nope...you're still CrooKeD! Let me help you stand up straight, and quit cussing at people that have a different view than yours. Now you at least "look "like an adult.
Now go back and read the post again, and you will see that the hook is so I don't have to grab the edge of the license plate to pull it down. GM added it to update the pitiful original version from the1970's.

And Just as you say...If you hate me, I've probably given you cause. Feel better?

Nope...you're still CrooKeD! Let me help you stand up straight, and quit cussing at people that have a different view than yours. Now you at least "look "like an adult.
Now go back and read the post again, and you will see that the hook is so I don't have to grab the edge of the license plate to pull it down. GM added it to update the pitiful original version from the1970's.

And Just as you say...If you hate me, I've probably given you cause. Feel better?

1. I guess the little "handle" is cool, if you feel the need for it is that much of a "stand up" deal.

2. I do. Thanks for the apology.......... :D

I'm not going to make it. I have a trip planned to Florida, and wont be back home to Texas until Sept. 13-14, Its just to tight to get the car ready to make the trip by myself. I'm assuming you're going??

I'm not going to make it. I have a trip planned to Florida, and wont be back home to Texas until Sept. 13-14, Its just to tight to get the car ready to make the trip by myself. I'm assuming you're going??

Yassuh, I will be there.

Very much looking forward to it, it will be my first time because it's a long way from Phoenix.

Always looking to meet another TR guy with a bit of an "edge". :D

Have a safe trip.