Mildest flat tappet cam avail. for the GN?

davidf

I'm not looking to track my car but since I've chipped the edge if the cam gear, I may just replace it along with the lifters. Looking for something that will maintain what little fuel economy these cars get. I doubt I can get a NOS one so I'm open for suggestions. Only mods are Champion intake, GN1 SLIC, alky and chip, 3' ATR exhaust. I want a smoooooth idling camshaft. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I know some guy who has a couple laying around Dave;). If it was me I would stuff a roller cam in it.

If the ...

engine needs to idle smooth, you should have many choices, probably up to 212/212. Mine is smooth, but it's a roller also.:cool:

With over 20 years of cam selections, the best choice for you is the 206/206 flat tappet.

We have installed over 100 of these and it sounds and acts like a stocker, except a little more mid-range torque and HP. :)

Just as a side note, only 2 of the ever wiped a lobe, and both owners used Mobil I. :eek:

I'm not looking to track my car but since I've chipped the edge if the cam gear, I may just replace it along with the lifters. Looking for something that will maintain what little fuel economy these cars get. I doubt I can get a NOS one so I'm open for suggestions. Only mods are Champion intake, GN1 SLIC, alky and chip, 3' ATR exhaust. I want a smoooooth idling camshaft. Thanks in advance for your advice.

206/206 or 204/214 -both good choices

I used to run the old poston's 202/202 back in the day with stock set-up..
Lunati 200/200 was another good old cam..

did you try....

fullthrottlespeed? They have them, but I don't know if the LSA is 110 or 112. you would have to call. It was priced at 159.00:)

Cottons also sells the comp cams 206/206 flat tappet kit. I have this in my clone. Seems like a lot of people recommended this for a stockish setup. There is also a 206/206 roller cam you see in a lot of faster combos, but this is usually the high lift cam like the one Weber sells.

My TTA has the 206/206 flat tappet and its pretty mild, idles like crap with a stock computer but runs like a dream with a Turbo Tweak chip

The 206/206 does idle smooth as glass. You won't even be able to tell its not a stock cam. If your 206/206 idles bad you have other issues. Also a tt chip is a must. Send your current tt chip in for a re burn.

I dont have a 206/206 cam card handy but id imagine there are different grinds with the same duration. Id want a cam with more seperation and around .450 total lift with 1.55 rockers to minimize the overlap time as much as possible. The more vacuum the engine has at a given rpm the less overlap the cam has. More duration does not always mean more overlap. If you look at the cam lobes a company like comp offers im sure you could select something that is very very close to stock and have them ground. Roller or not. Unfortuately i dont have the stock cam specs handy. Im sure its been cam doctored before. Maybe someone else has the #'s

So what are your thoughts on the 208/208 flat tappet cam?

With over 20 years of cam selections, the best choice for you is the 206/206 flat tappet.

We have installed over 100 of these and it sounds and acts like a stocker, except a little more mid-range torque and HP. :)

Just as a side note, only 2 of the ever wiped a lobe, and both owners used Mobil I. :eek:

I forgot to mention, when I ordered the cam/lifters form TA, she advised me to buy a bottle of zinc additive they offer for cam breakin. {$18:confused:} so I did. Upon putting everthing back together I had planned on cleaning the oil pan and changing the oil along with ZDDPLUS. Should I combine ZDDPLUS with the breakin additive?:confused: Seems a bit overkill.