Modified ratchet shifter in stock consul pics

did anyone have to modify their bracket when putting the b&M one? and did everyone else toss the steering wheel colum rod that goes to the trans lever?? The two brackets that they say im suppose to use have to be modified..the lever had to be bent out slightly so it wouldnt hit the trans pan

did anyone have to modify their bracket when putting the b&M one? and did everyone else toss the steering wheel colum rod that goes to the trans lever?? The two brackets that they say im suppose to use have to be modified..the lever had to be bent out slightly so it wouldnt hit the trans pan
You have to "join" both brackets together (weld them) so the stock system which activates the backup light switch and also the neutral switch still function properly. (Refer to the picture posted by "coach" in post #46.)

Claude.:)

You have to "join" both brackets together (weld them) so the stock system which activates the backup light switch and also the neutral switch still function properly. (Refer to the picture posted by "coach" in post #46.)

Damn Claude,
I thought I made this pretty easy with all the pics in my other thread. The damn search function is not working, so I cannot reply to look it up.

100_0532.JPG

LIKE THIS!!

Not looking forward to cutting it. Just a mock up

Attachments

• image-3022988588.jpg
    image-3022988588.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 226

without using the colum shift bar will the computer know what gear your in? example using the TT chip to program timing or fuel for 1st gear vs all gears

without using the colum shift bar will the computer know what gear your in? example using the TT chip to program timing or fuel for 1st gear vs all gears
The computer doesn't ''know'' what gear you're in, and the neutral switch only prevents the car from being started unless it's in ''N'' or ''P'' for safety reasons.

Claude. :)

highboostgn said:

The computer knows when the transmission is in either third or fourth gear. However, it has nothing to do with the shifter. There are switches inside the transmission that close when third or fourth gear are applied. The computer knows if those switches are closed or open. So, if neither switch is closed, the computer assumes that the transmission is in "low gear" (first or second). When the first switch closes, the computer knows that the transmission is in third gear. When the other switch closes, the computer knows that the transmission is in fourth gear. The shifter position does not affect the operation of the third and fourth gear switches inside the transmission.

The computer also knows when the transmission is in park/neutral. I'm not sure if it gets that signal from the neutral safety switch or somewhere else.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick

The computer knows when the transmission is in either third or fourth gear. However, it has nothing to do with the shifter. There are switches inside the transmission that close when third or fourth gear are applied. The computer knows if those switches are closed or open. So, if neither switch is closed, the computer assumes that the transmission is in "low gear" (first or second). When the first switch closes, the computer knows that the transmission is in third gear. When the other switch closes, the computer knows that the transmission is in fourth gear. The shifter position does not affect the operation of the third and fourth gear switches inside the transmission.

The computer also knows when the transmission is in park/neutral. I'm not sure if it gets that signal from the neutral safety switch or somewhere else.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick

Thanks for clearing that up:)

I have my shit rod assembly hooked up. I didn't like not having the safety switch and back up lights not working. I don't have any issues with it.

The shift rod accomplishes a few things. Lets the computer know if you are in Park/Neutral, or In gear (can be important in some chip features). Also turns the column assembly to turn on the back up lights.

That's why you see on my picture several posts up the page, that I use both couplers on the tranny, with a tiny tack weld holding them together.