MS3-Pro! The next great thing in Turbo Buicks?

Sorry guys I have been disconnected from the board for a while so I haven't followed much here. Ironic there is talk about putting a MS3-Pro on a stock header since this is a project I've been working on for a while and will be getting a couple prototypes out to key people in the next month or two. It will be better than a plug and play from DIY since it will have built in Bluetooth wireless and will be in a factory ECU enclosure so it will be good for the buick racing classes that require stock ecms or ecms in stock cases. I don't want to talk much more on it yet but I'm pretty excited to get this out there since it will be a great relatively low cost option that will blow away the current plug and play buick options.

The main adapter board will look something like the one attached.

,Dan

Sent you a PM.

So is the MS3 an ecm out of some sort of production vehicle that uses an interface kinda like HP tuners?

Does anybody have an update to this project? Or do I need to reinvent the wheel on making my own up?

Does anybody have an update to this project? Or do I need to reinvent the wheel on making my own up?

Yes I am getting around to testing now. Things have been really busy for me lately but will be slowing down soon. System is complete and is in beta testing. On the facebook turbo Buick page is where I have been posting updates.

Thanks, Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20160130_010238.jpg
    IMG_20160130_010238.jpg
    618.3 KB · Views: 223
So is the MS3 an ecm out of some sort of production vehicle that uses an interface kinda like HP tuners?

Dusty,

No the MS3 is a complete stand alone unit that is very powerful, and is top of the line with a great easy to use graphic user interface called Tuner Studio which is free to download and use bit is something like $50 to upgrade to its full capabilities like Autotune VE and such.

,Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20160130_010315.jpg
    IMG_20160130_010315.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 209
Yes I am getting around to testing now. Things have been really busy for me lately but will be slowing down soon. System is complete and is in beta testing. On the facebook turbo Buick page is where I have been posting updates.

Thanks, Dan
For the life of me, I can't figure out how to find ur facebook page, can you help me here?

Also, you wouldn't happen to have an IO count of the different types of spare IO? Wanting to add traction control & maybe some other stuff, so trying to figure out what other break out boxes I will need.

Last edited:
For the life of me, I can't figure out how to find ur facebook page, can you help me here?

Also, you wouldn't happen to have an IO count of the different types of spare IO? Wanting to add traction control & maybe some other stuff, so trying to figure out what other break out boxes I will need.

I don't have a personal Facebook page I'm posting it on. I am posting it on the turbo Buick member on Facebook page.

I guess I'm not following you on the breakout boxes? The ECU will have quite a few spare I/O but for acceleration based traction control you will not need to do anything since it already reads rear wheel speed. I have blazer front spindles on my car so I will be using a VR to square wave converter to input the front wheel speed to use a differential speed traction control.

Thanks, Dan

I probably will be adding the 8 channel EGT & maybe more IO, this box is a bit short on analog inputs. Thinking extra pressure senors on various points & E85 flex sensor.

I to have gotten the 99 2wd spindle, but not sure why I needed it, I can buy the blazer back plate sensor & rotor from rockauto. I assembled this on my stock spindle & brakes everything seems to work, but the rotor seems to drag the new pads more than I like, I was going to bring it to my next club meeting to see if others think the rubbing is to much. Another person in our club is wanting to add this sensor so I tried it out for him, since I have all the parts.

As far as the signal from the spindle, I talked to DIY, they claim I can run it directly into a 5V digital input. I ask more questions when I did their class recently, but not sure I got a firm answer on what voltage it takes to get the input to say it is on. I know my signal was around 1-2v when I spun it by hand slowly.
My instructor said:
Hall effect industry standard is 1.4-2.5v
VR industry standard is .5v

Do you know how many pulses the transmission sensor puts out per per 360deg of drive shaft, I haven't got around to testing that sensor for usage yet? I have a 8pole senor mounted on the drive shaft right now that I was going to use, but might take it back off if the VSS give a lot of pulses & probably more reliable.

Also, they recommended in the class I took, you use around 6% differential slip on drag radials & 8% on slicks, if you haven't set this up yet.

The 2wd blazer spindle and the stock Gbody spindle have nothing in common and the speed sensor is mounted in the hub/bearing assembly on the blazer. Not sure what your talking about with some back plate but you do not have the same spindle I'm talking about apparently.

A wheel speed sensor for a blazer is VR and puts out an AC Signal not a Square wave so it needs to go through a conditioner.

The EGT your talking about is a CAN system so it will not use the I/O it will use the can network connection. I also designed a dual EGT converter that will use two analog inputs.

,Dan

Too bad this cannt control a 4l60, I'd be interested in giving this a shot with my 3800 , really want to run SD and ditch the maf.

It can, the ECU is pinned out for CAN BUS connections. DIYautotune.com and EFI source both sell plug and play microsquirt controller/harness systems for $450 that can be bought for 4L80E or 4L60E which is how I'm going to control my trans. I have run the EFI source system on a couple cars now and it works great. Since its CAN it's only a 3 wire hookup to the Megasquirt and is all tuned through the same controller connection (no need to connect to the Tran controller) live in the same GUI as if it was all in one controller. The engine/trans can share a data back and forth for their own uses.

,Dan

Might have to poke around some info on it. I forgot you running a trigger wheel or running off the stock balancer?

Using only the 24 tooth wheel and removing one tooth for quick sync and using the cam signal. I will be running coil on plug which has several benefits, ignition power, 2-step, anti lag, and spark cut rev limiter.

,Dan

I remember when MS first appeared...they have come a long way since then. MS keeps adding free parameters that some other EMS's make you pay for and they are still half the price of other aftermarket EMS's. I almost bought one for my Miata when I was thinking about building a forged turbo engine for it but sold the Miata.

I will be following this thread with anticipation....thanks.

I had talked with diyautotune.com recently. I don't know if this is related to Daniel's project.

Here is some answers to my questions, when I asked DIY, email was dated 2/16/17:
"The rumor is true. ETA around middle of the year. The ECU will have plenty of spare I/O via a separate plug, like our other MS3Pro PNP ECUs.

I don't have plans to incorporate an internal Bluetooth module in this ECU. The external modules from EFIAnalytics work well and are inexpensive."