My new motor Build with pics

hello; Good luck with your build. What do you think of the two pc. pipe that crosses over under the engine that came with those headers? I heard it's for ease of fitment and causes no issues but something about a two pc. thing I don't like. Go the x-tra mile and get them coated (not powder) I have a set (not installed) and they do look nice.
IBBY

Thanks for the compliments. The girdle wasn't bad to machine and it came with ARP bolts for the mains. However the oil pan rail bolts were extremely subpar or RJC got a bad batch because 5 of them broke at only 20ft lbs resulting in having to drill them out. The instructions say to torque them down to 28lbs. My solution was to call up TA and have him make up a custom set from ARP. The new bolts were rated at 30lbs or higher and you could tell how superior they were. If any of you go the girdle route I strongly suggest you invest in quality oil pan rail bolts so your not drilling broken bolts out of your new block.

Yep, have had the same issue many times. Installing a girdle is a PAIN to install. Doing it right takes time........lots of time.

nice work Luke, took a break from the tat today and measured the buick for pushrods, gonna try and get this thing fired before turkey day to get some motivation going.

Has nothing to do with retorqueing the oil pan studs. They broke the first time being tightened down at only 20ft lbs. at some point either RJC has gotten a bad batch of studs or he simply started buying cheap ones I have no idea but they are Subpar quality. The arp replacements I ordered from TA tightened down to 30ft lbs no problem. The old broken studs we drilled into were extremely soft or too hard. That's a sign of a Chinese metal. I'm just saying this so if anyone buys a girdle buy all means call up TA Performance and order their upgrade ARP oil pan rail kit so you don't go through what I just did.

just making sure.... I've heard of guys treating them like other studs (not even rjc) and having same issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand. I did call RJC andctoldchim whàt happened. He was nice about it and sent me replacement ones so I'm thinking maybe he got a bad batch? I really like his girdle and am not trying to bash him. I would still buy another girdle from him, I would just elect for the highest quality oil pan rail fasteners money could buy.

I'm gonna finish this motor then get back to wrenching on the tta! Having 2 of these cars to build/fix is insane. I'm pretty much broke and still need another grand for a new fuel system to feed this thing.

I have heard of problems with the RJC pan studs breaking. I have a girdle that has been on 2 engines using the same RJC pan studs with no problem. I just did another new girdle installation with RJC pan studs and had no problem. I tried to find some ARP pan studs, but could never get a part number.

That's interesting. TA Performance made a new part number because of apparent demand. It's a brand new part number. Comes with arp nuts also.

Installed the cam yesterday. Went to put the timing chain cover on and discovered that when I resurfaced it, I must have taken too much material off because there is zero play with the cam. Gonna try and order a new timing chain cover soon. Always something that slows down the process

Made some progress today. It's one step forward and 2 back with these motors. On a Rollmaster timing chain you have to machine down the small tab or boss in the timing chain cover itself or you will have clearance issues. Went to install my front cover seal and oh great felpro forgot to include it in the kit. This is what happens when suff is outsourced and there are multiple countries making our stuff. Ordered the seal itself from Oreilleys and it is way too big! Go back to exchange it and come to find out the company making them with the correct part number is just plain wrong. Finally, they ordered a federal mogul seal and it was correct. This makes building motors not enjoyable anymore. I have lost weeks because of poorly manufactured parts or just getting the wrong stuff and having to reorder the correct parts. Oh we'll it's finally time to button up this motor. Pics soon

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg