Need help to pass MD emissions!!

86BLACKT

Ok guys, I have failed again. I had Eric burn me an amissions chip, bought a new cat. from full throttle and still failed hydrocarbons. The standard is 1.8 GPM, I was at 2.3052. CO was *.6GPM, NOx was 2.676 GPM, CO2 was 531 GPM. The car has a 160 t stat in it and was upto 190 after sitting in line for 40 minutes. It has a new denso O2 sensor, new K&N, and 100 octane unleaded in it. Anybody have any ideas?
:confused:

Thanks
Rich

Lets start with who's PCV valve, EGR valve and spark plugs? Also, what are the pass/fail standards for the gasses that are passing?

Standareds are as follows

standard result

HC 1.8GPM 2.3052 fail
CO 30GPM 8.5207 pass
NOx 2.8GPM 2.6758 pass

Motr was rebuilt by Dynotech about 1000 miles ago, tuned up, new plugs. pcv. Not sure about the EGR

Originally posted by 86BLACKT
Standareds are as follows

standard result

HC 1.8GPM 2.3052 fail
CO 30GPM 8.5207 pass
NOx 2.8GPM 2.6758 pass

Motr was rebuilt by Dynotech about 1000 miles ago, tuned up, new plugs. pcv. Not sure about the EGR

Are the PCV and EGR valve delco units? If not change them to delco units. Cruising, what are your BLMs? If they are biased to the lean side, then raise the FP a little. You really don't have much room to take any fuel out, because if you do, the NOx may fail. What type and heat range of spark plug?

I just recently had to go through emissions in MD as well. It took me a few times. I posted what I had to do in another thread to make it pass.

The car has to be in a good state of tune, with no vacuum leaks or other fuel related problems. If your PCV system isn't working, or the plenum area is soaked in oil, or you have dirty oil, or poorly adjusted basics such as TPS, IAC, etc.. You are less likely to pass. Spark plugs might need to go one heat range warmer depending upon what you have in there, plug wires, coil, MAF, etc.. should check ok..Might need to de-carbonize, etc...

Check out the other post, it was pretty detailed, just go down the list.

Good luck, let us know how things turn out.

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

MD emissions

Disconnect the waste gate rod and try again. Just let the rod hang loose. It may not be politically correct, but it worked for me.:D

I have a theory as to why it worked, if you would like to hear it.

Don

Thanks everyone for your advise. I changed the oil, lowered the fuel pressure and drove around in the city for an hour or so to let the emissions chip from Eric do its thing and passed today. I appreciate the help.

I will have to remember to unhook the wastegate next time. I saw on my print out that the hydrocarbons jumped tremendously at every increast in speed.

Thanks again
Rich

Originally posted by 86BLACKT
Ok guys, I have failed again. I had Eric burn me an amissions chip, bought a new cat. from full throttle and still failed hydrocarbons. The standard is 1.8 GPM, I was at 2.3052. CO was *.6GPM, NOx was 2.676 GPM, CO2 was 531 GPM. The car has a 160 t stat in it and was upto 190 after sitting in line for 40 minutes. It has a new denso O2 sensor, new K&N, and 100 octane unleaded in it. Anybody have any ideas?
:confused:

Thanks
Rich
May I suggest haveing your chip designer pull some timing out in the area that is being tested & failing HC that is what I tried with success on a few problem cars. Here In CA. they test here on a dyno at 15 & 25 mph I'm not familiar with the method used in your area. Useing 100 octane fuel loaded with what ever they are blending it with isn't a good idea your plugs, cat. & 02 sensor gets coated with octane enhanceing additives. May I also suggest useing Delco 02 sensor & AC plugs. Make sure coil pack & plug wires are fresh. Any slight missfire will cause a failure for sure. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Hey Lou,
The 100 octane that I run is unleaded from Sunoco. The Maryland dyno goes from idle to 55 mph and cruises at different speeds and goes up and down for 5 minutes or so.

Lou is correct regarding plugs and O2 (including Delco PCV and EGR valve). The trace needs to be driven smoothly, or emissions will spike. The spike is more than likely lean. Reviewing the trace, if the HC spikes, does the CO go really low at the same time (that would be an indication that the mixture is going really lean) and NOx will rise until the flame extinguishes, then fall.

I recently failed and then passed the emissions here, too! Only difference I had between the two times were a Denso o2 sensor and a Random Tech High Flow cat!!!

nero
HTH

ps: Oh yeah, I also had added 2 gallons of xylene! ;)

Originally posted by nero
I recently failed and then passed the emissions here, too! Only difference I had between the two times were a Denso o2 sensor and a Random Tech High Flow cat!!!

nero
HTH

ps: Oh yeah, I also had added 2 gallons of xylene! ;)
Well! that shoots my whole theory to hell! I better turn in my smog licence ! LOL

Rich- my buddy is having a tough time passing emissions, could we borrow your 50# emissssions chip and give it a go? I live right down the road in Eldersburg, Kurt