Need some help converting to E85

Or just get the 80lb High Imp. injectors and don't worry about it. No need for ECM mod with these. I'm thinking of dumping my 120's and going with 160's. It's fun running 30 pounds of boost+ on E85:D

Or just get the 80lb High Imp. injectors and don't worry about it. No need for ECM mod with these. I'm thinking of dumping my 120's and going with 160's. It's fun running 30 pounds of boost+ on E85:D

Darn straight brother! Cant wait to feel my beast! Hey Brother, PM me your number again, I need to ask you a few questions on your fuel lines.

. I will need to beef other things up once I start getting close. For now I am looking at E85 or close to straight E85 at about 20 to 25 lbs and the mid 12's
QUOTE]

If all you are looking for is mid 12's then 50 or 60 lb injectors will be just fine. I ran 50 lb injectors with a TE44 last year.

Apologies for de-railing the conversation. Rest of the discussion was moved to here:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...h/280343-fulep-pump-injector-cheat-sheet.html

Scott - I wouldnt say you were de-railing the conversation I was just trying to answer the original thread starter's question as simple as I could and it seems that "we" were getting off track. "WE" would include more than you and myself BTW ;)

I also read your new thread and you mentioned that you were told that your information was not appropiate for the E-85 section, not true at all. I wish you would have started a new thread in the E-85 section.

I have followed your threads and responses in other sections and you know a hell of a lot more about pumps, etc than most people around here including myself :smile:

If would please move that thread to the E-85 section or start a new one I have a few questions that I would like to ask and that need to be asked. Thanks for your help! :biggrin:

Where is your info for this?:confused:

It's explained here:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/e85-technical-forum/280408-fuel-pump-injector-flow-graphs.html

So the gas guys run 83's could not possibly run a 340?????? Hmmm???? There are a lot of guys that are really screwing up their cars out there.

Not saying anyone is screwing their cars up. If someone with 83#'s is only flowing enough air to need 60-70% duty cycle , then sure, a single 340 will be fine. But start flowing more air to require 90-100 % dc and the pump will not be able to keep up and fuel pressure will drop. Hell, put in some dang 500#'s and run a stock pump. It should be fine right? Sure it will, idling with 5 cfm of air and 2-3 % duty cycle, but get to 10-15% and all your fuel pressure drops to zero. Following your logic, what's wrong with that?

This is at WOT, the car will never reach anywhere near 100% duty cycle at 15 psi

What if it needs to due to changing conditions? Where's the safety margin? Let's say it's a hot day, the air is dense, timing is a degree or 2 high, got some less than perfect gas, wastegate is holding a pound or 2 too much boost, etc. Then what? If for some reason you need the extra fuel, the pump won't be able to keep up and your pressure drops. I'm not saying to go crazy. Just plan/size things accordingly.

What if it needs to due to changing conditions? Where's the safety margin? Let's say it's a hot day, the air is dense, timing is a degree or 2 high, got some less than perfect gas, wastegate is holding a pound or 2 too much boost, etc. Then what? If for some reason you need the extra fuel, the pump won't be able to keep up and your pressure drops. I'm not saying to go crazy. Just plan/size things accordingly.

I agree with that! The only point I'm really trying to get across is that we have not seen any lean conditions with these two different set ups. Both cars keep right in the range at WOT, if the pump isnt enough at WOT and set boost, it should start to lean out right? BUT, I do agree keeping a good margin of safety is important. With that said, how large of a margin of safety is actually needed without ever seeing lean conditions? As far as pump failure, big and little pumps will fail and lean out. Just how big do you really need if the existing pumps are keeping up?

Thanks for all of the help getting me pointed down the right road with E85. All of your help has been very much appreciated.:cool:

If I give the 60’s a try is sounds like I will be able to run about 22lbs of boost max. Give or take. I want to keep the duty cycle in the 80 % range to be safe. From what I have read you don’t want to run much over 80% or it is time to step up the injector size.

What is the best way to monitor the DC % ??

Will the 340 pump and stock fuel lines support 79# injectors at 20 - 25 lbs of boost??

I am leaning strongly to adding a wideband. I am not sure the Scanmaster will give me the accuracy I need for tuning with E85.

What is involved in adding a WB and will I need a power logger?

What is the best way to monitor the DC % ??

Directscan or there are standalone displays that the ricers use that will do it. There may be other scantools besides directscan but they are kinda few.

Will the 340 pump and stock fuel lines support 79# injectors at 20 - 25 lbs of boost??

Stock lines will be borderline. At 100% dc the pump will not. But keep dc to 75-80% and you should be ok.

What is involved in adding a WB and will I need a power logger?

Good idea on the WB. Just have to drill a hole and install a O2 bung somewhere downstream, run the wires, and mount the controller and display. Logger helps to free up your attention while driving, also to review data after a run, but it's not necessary.