Need to repair my oil pump - not sure of what to buy

syclone98

I just bought an 87 GN today that doesn't appear to be getting any oil pressure (according to the aftermarket guage that's hooked up to the car and from what the guy told me).

I looked online at Autozone and they list a few different parts so I'm confused as to what exactly I need to purchase if I'm just looking to do a straight rebuild of the stock pump.

A few people here have mentioned the Melling P-201 but I couldn't figure out if that's an add-on part or a standalone rebuild kit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Christopher

The best why to fix this is to find the problem. But if you want to just throw an oil pump on it, then I would call Mike at full throttle and get a new front cover with a hp pump built into it. The front cover is aluminum is wears out. Puting in a hp pump gear set my not get you anywhere if the cover is worn out. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, but I was really hoping to tackle this tomorrow. My son only comes over every other week so for now I'm just trying to determine exactly what I would need in order to fix it sooner rather than later.

Any idea on what parts I would need that Autozone (or someone similar) sells?

I would do some diagnostics.

Electric gauge or mechanical? What reading? Zero? Low?
How many miles on the car?
Are you running the engine? Does it make noise?

The only thing that AZ sells is the front cover (special order)and oil pump gear/kit (usually instock) they do not sell the lower oil fliter housing which often get scored by the pump gears.

I have a Silver Seal dealer account and sell New front covers and oil pump kits w/ filter housings for reasonable prices.
I would make sure the gauge was accurate first.
Because it could be something simple.
If not there are procedures I would do before pulling the front cover.

Where are you located?

I live in Brentwood (in Northern California) which is about an hour south of Sacramento.

I think I will try to do some basic checks tomorrow to see if anything can be ruled out. I would have done it tonight but it was a 9 hour round trip to drive up to get the car (Lake Tahoe) so I'm really exhausted right now.

Since I'm not really sure if it is in fact the oil pump, I've been hesitant to let the car run for more than a few seconds but while it was running I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. It has about 105K on it and appears to have been pretty well maintained for the most part.

The way I look at it is even if it does take me several hundred dollars in repairs to get it running right, I only paid $2500 for the car so I'd still end up with a running GN for just over $3000 in total.

So are you saying then that AZ doesn't have everything that's needed to properly rebuild the pump? If you'd like to PM me the details, I might be interested in buying one from you.

Thanks,
Christopher