New Alky Install - Knock Issues

ecna

I finished up the Alky Control install yesterday along with a Turbo Tweak Alky chip.

With my 93 TT chip, I ran 17 lbs of boost with zero knock.

Only change is Alky and Alky chip and I had 3.8 degrees of knock at only 19 lbs. With the knob all the way up and the boost back down to 17, I still got .5 of KR.

Most people run more boost and timing... so I'm torn between putting the 93 chip in and playing or trying to take timing out of the Alky chip.

The Alky system seems to be working fine.. though I would have thought the Power Injection light would be brighter with the knob all the way up and under boost.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

alky isnt spraying i can tell u that much. does the car bog down when u hold the test button?

might have a pump or map issue it should be bright with the knob at 8 my car runs leaner at 23/21 and 24 ps1 750 o2's i run 27/25 at 26 psi and have 810 o2's blowing black smoke through first with the knob on 7 :confused: goto get a wideband

Boost231:

Yes the car will bog if I hit the test button at idle.

lpaulaabbot:

I bought a wideband, but I wasn't going to do it until I went for a downpipe.

Is there a way to tell if it's spraying enough? What kind of MAP issue? If the lights are coming on, it's getting "something" from the MAP... right? It's the only turn-on... right?

Thanks,
Eric

I finished up the Alky Control install yesterday along with a Turbo Tweak Alky chip.

With my 93 TT chip, I ran 17 lbs of boost with zero knock.

Only change is Alky and Alky chip and I had 3.8 degrees of knock at only 19 lbs. With the knob all the way up and the boost back down to 17, I still got .5 of KR.

Most people run more boost and timing... so I'm torn between putting the 93 chip in and playing or trying to take timing out of the Alky chip.

The Alky system seems to be working fine.. though I would have thought the Power Injection light would be brighter with the knob all the way up and under boost.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric
Not enough info. At what MPH is the knock appearing? Is it continous? Etc.

At 19 PSI you should have your knob on 4-5. If the turnon LED illuminates at 5-6 PSI red.. then changes to green by 10-12 PSI.. you should have enough alky. Dont go by the power injection bulb. But by the Turnon LED. As it tells you its getting MAP signal and that the pump is making pressure(green color change).

You did two changes.. added alky and changed the chip. Go back to your old chip and see if the problem stays the same.

Also dont know if you have a translator or stock GM MAF? What fuel pressure? What your BLM's are doing at idle/cruise? Etc.

You could be flooding the motor also.. Your scanmaster should read mid 800's when you stab the gas and eventually come down to upper 700's low 800's.

If all fails, call me. Its hard to fix cars over keyboards ;)

PS.. about a year ago there was a car that the vacuum tubing going to the MAP sensor was all cracked and under boost would bleed air not allowing full boost signal to the MAP. So dont discount stupid stuff like this

Razor,

Thanks for posting.

I have to admit, I'm having a hard time watching everything at the same time, when my test area is a local road.

I try to stay in it until the 2-3 shift figuring at the top of 2nd is a good potential for knock.

I just got back from a ride. Before I left, I checked fuel pressure and it was 43.5 line off and I turned the boost down to 15. No knock! I stopped and turned the boost up to about 17 and again no knock. I turned the boost up again to what I thought would be about 19 and I saw a Sheriff drive by, so I decided to stop tuning.

Bottom line is I had knock at 17 yesterday, so something is definitely better. I don't usually believe problems fix themselves, but I guess we'll see.

To answer some of your questions... I had the knob at 5 at 15 and 6 at 17... so that sounds like too much based on your post. The LED seems to turn green at about 8-9 lbs of boost. I am running a stock MAF and I can't quote a BLM at cruise from this weekend, but idle was 125 to 128 and I don't usually have a BLM problem. I've also changed all of the plastic vacuum tubing and rubber connectors, so I shouldn't have vaccuum issues and should be getting good signal to the MAF.

Anyway, it looks like I'm done for now. I'll be away this week for work and I'll be heading to Cecil County for Friday.

Thanks,
Eric

Bottom line is I had knock at 17 yesterday, so something is definitely better. I don't usually believe problems fix themselves, but I guess we'll see.

To answer some of your questions... I had the knob at 5 at 15 and 6 at 17... so that sounds like too much based on your post. The LED seems to turn green at about 8-9 lbs of boost. I
Okay it sounds and looks like everything is working right. leave your alky knob at (5) and go up in boost one pound at a time untill you just see very little knock then you go up with the alky knob a small bit untill it goes away. always go in small incriments with the alky knob, don't go up one whole number at a time as it might be too much. Thats just what iv'e learned from MR. JULIO :biggrin:

Scot w.

Kit automatically increases pressure as the boost rises. You dont need to make it more aggressive..as this already happens by itself. And.. dont increase the knob unless the knock is real.. you can spray a zillion ounces of alcohol and never fix that downpipe smacking the control arm. ;)

maybe the system wasnt primed before you last outing thus the knock.

Sorry to cut in here anybody have a picture of our controller with the sticker on it to show what number the gane nob is on.Mine must of been tossed during the install.

mike

let me go snap a picture for you. its dark out in the garage so we will see what happens

pics

this is the best i could do.

Attachments

• DSCF0360.JPG
    DSCF0360.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCF0361.JPG
    DSCF0361.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 179
no problem. dont mind my mess. with the new motor going in and new gauges its getting alittle messy down there. egt probe wires,lc-1,boost,oil,water gagues,alky,cutout bla bla bla.