New-B looking for " Buick Turbo for Dummies" help

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hello! Well, I've been stalking the forum for a while now and have finally signed up. Let me start by saying I know nothing but what I've been able to get for little knowledge here. I have a 1963 Buick Wagon that I'm planning to put a '87 GN motor in that I just purchased. The car already has a 200 4R, so that helps. I guess what I'm looking for is just the basic first things to change out or get rid of on the motor. I haven't tried to fit it in yet, it does have a Casper harness and headers, but other then that, it is supposed to be all stock. I'm looking to keep it as a good driver, but of coarse want to get the most for the least amount that I can. Any suggestion are appreciated! I'm going to hopefully post pics so you can see what the motor is and the car also. The car has the original all aluminum 215 V-8 that has been rebuilt and runs fine, but it's just a slug. And what better then to put in a sleeper turbo! thanks for your help!

You're going to need a good fuel pump and figure out some way to keep the gas from sloshing in the tank. If the pick up uncovers you'll have big trouble.

Thanks for the reply, I was figuring on using a external pump and running a 1/2 line to it from the tank ( maybe installing a sump?) and using my current 3/8 as a return line. Would I still have to worry about sloshing? Normally I fill up at about 1/4 tank anyway. The info on those sites is great! I never was on the vortex one and I can see that I'm going to have to dedicate some serious time to reading over all the material.

You're going to need a scanmster to monitor the engine. Check the for sale area.

I have seen that Edelbrock sells a EFI sump kit #3605, that is supposed to do 60psi and support 600hp. would this work, has anybody used one of these?

That will barely get you 17lbs of boost. Look at something in the 255 to 340 range like what Racetronix has or DW that you can put on your sender. You may need to modify the hanger.

Ok, sorry about this, but like I said this is for a dummie. I know what psi is, but what do you mean to look for something 225-340 range? And what is my sender and hanger? I know from what I've read I need to get a scan master, boost gauge, fuel gauge. What should my gauges be up to for fuel pressure? How much psi is normally needed? Also, I can't seem to fine a area on here with items for sale. Thanks for all your help!

You need a fuel pump thar will supply enough fuel in boost. The stock boost level is about 15 psi. Increasing the boost for more power demands more fuel. They rate pumps in lph. You want one that is at least 255 or 340lph.http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/fuel-sender-w-g7-255-rxp-pump.html I don't know if the sender will fit your gas tank and if the float will work with you gas guage. The pump should also be hot wired so it will see steady voltage.

o.k., now i get it. do you know of any in-line pumps that would work? I'm thinking i would install a sump onto the stock tank and run a 1/2 feed line and 3/8 return to the sump.

An in tank pump should be plenty to supply a relatively stock set up. Feeding an external gets iffy as the ones I've fooled with are way better pushers than they are pullers. A tank setup for an intank pump will have some kind of cup type area to keep fuel there so the pump can pick it up . The pressure aspect will be dependant one the base pressure, usually around 43psi and the regulator and pump will need to be able to supply the pressure and volume to allow pressure to rise 1:1 with boost. So if you plan to run17 psi of boost and are running 43 psi base pressure at idle you will need 60 psi. I would want a 0-100 psi fuel pressure gauge. Usually this will be mounted on a bracket under the hood and sticking out so you can see it while you are making wot blasts. With out an isolator mounting a gauge in the interior is a big no-no.
I'm guessing you have the computer and such all figured out.

I highly recommend seeking out someone in your area that is experienced with turbo buicks. You've got a lot to learn as well as convert a non fuel injected vehicle. It can be done and it would be cool in your wagon, you're just going to need guidance on many things that are specific only to the turbo buick.

You might want to reconsider that 215 V-8.

Probably the most incredible sounding exhaust I've ever heard was from an 180 degree dual header system on an aluminum 215 V-8 powered Rock-Car!

That is one cool looking car! I don't remember the last time I have seen one since the 60's. I believe your gas tank is larger than the one on the tr's, so having it sumped w/a matching neck and locking ring for the tr sending unit. Which btw would make it easy for replacement parts and upgrading to d/p's. The sending unit is 90 ohms, which your unit may be also. Upgrade the fuel lines if affordable at that time w/the hot-wire kit for the pump and the only thing you will lack is the knowledge to keep the engine healthy. Which btw will come w/continual reading and asking questions on this board.
If you are going to use the stock computer, just upgrade to the TT chip, which can be customized for future upgrades.

Wow, Thanks. I would love to find someone in the area that know these well as I am much better with having stuff shown and explained to me, rather than reading it and figuring it out. hopefully I can find someone on here around the Fondy WI area that is looking for a new bothersome friend. :) I am not even planing to start to put the motor in until this fall/winter. I want to get stuff together for it and make sure I have it planned out well so no damage is done because I didn't figure on something. The first thing I'm trying to work out is the fuel supply. So, do you think I would be able to pull my pickup out and replace it with a in the tank aftermarket pump from, say Racetronics? Im not sure if GM used the same design for them for ever like some things or not, and I haven't yet pulled down my tank. Would just putting on in or having it fabed up be enough, or would I still have to worry about sloshing? As far as the computer, it does have a Caspers harness and a factory ECM I believe. i have a few chips that came with, but I not sure exactly what they are. I know one is stock. I have done a lot of reading on the Vortex website, which has been very helpful, but makes my head hurt! This is going to happen, I'm going to get this in the wagon! I love stuff that is very different, and having this motor in a Buick wagon is got to almost be a one of a kind. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE WITH ME!!!

O.K., with your help and suggestions on here, I have done a lot more reading and research. I have decided that I should go with the Aeromotive Stealth Phamton 340. It seems that it will cover all my needs, have plenty of LPH and PSI for my needs now and into the future, fix any sloshing issue, and let me keep my stock tank. I like that it has A/N fittings, but it comes with 6A/N. Normally 6 is the same as 3/8, so would it be o.k. to run a 3/8 feed and return, or should I still run a 1\2 feed anyway? I know I will need a in line filter then, but that should solve all my fuel issues correct? So then what's the next thing I would need to figure out or change after I get this mounted in? Thanks for all the help.

You might want to reconsider that 215 V-8.

Probably the most incredible sounding exhaust I've ever heard was from an 180 degree dual header system on an aluminum 215 V-8 powered Rock-Car!

Dual header? Say what?

As opposed to a Mono-header? :confused:

Or a Triple header? o_O

Are we are still taking about a V8, correct?

Not some inline engine?

Great looking wagon. Should be a great cruiser when finished.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk