New here and could use some friendly advice

x10 on what everyone is saying. Get the car running right first with spring cleaning and at the minimum have a Scanmaster to monitor what is going on. Find out what it has for a chip in it too. Probably has an old school chip. Lots of advances and you have two great sources for a modern chip with Turbo Tweak or TurboBobs Extreme chips.

Once you have the basics done and a lot of reading under your belt then start with the mods. Support us vendors that support the board. Banner ads run at the top right of the board and there is also a listing of all supporting vendors on the site.

The stock turbo can easily get you into the 12s and is very responsive on the street. Stepping up requires higher stall converters. BTW by the time you get to low 12s the tranny will probably start slipping.
I was looking at a full rebuild on the trans pulled the pan found some fine shreds at the bottom of the pan. Was just given the go for it try to stay under 30 grand for full cost think I should come in way less. is there a 5 or 6 speed auto that will mate up? Looked for posts didn't find anything useful however.

Did I read that correctly....$30k limit?
I was going to suggest buying Pronto's Gt6131 so he can upgrade to the Precision Turbo 6262 Billet.
I would contact Lonnie Diers at Extreme Automatics for a trans and converter combo. Some things on these cars are worth spending the big dollars once vs. doing them two and three times and spending more than the pricey setup you tried to avoid. Buying a complete long block from a well known builder will save you the machine shop horror story thread. Tuning and engine management will depend your ability or should I say the owners ability and decisions. Chip vs. Fancy computer is a debate that can be searched. Please don't start a thread on that.

I was looking at a full rebuild on the trans pulled the pan found some fine shreds at the bottom of the pan. Was just given the go for it try to stay under 30 grand for full cost think I should come in way less. is there a 5 or 6 speed auto that will mate up? Looked for posts didn't find anything useful however.
If I had a 30k budget I would dump my car for what I could get for it. I would then by a car that is already done with all the best of the best parts and most likely a stage 2 engine in it for about 1/4 of what it cost to build it. I've seen plenty cars on here selling for what the engine cost.

Edit: I forgot to mention I would get the current car running well before i would sell it. Spend 1k to get 5k more in the sale.

Did I read that correctly....$30k limit?
I was going to suggest buying Pronto's Gt6131 so he can upgrade to the Precision Turbo 6262 Billet.
I would contact Lonnie Diers at Extreme Automatics for a trans and converter combo. Some things on these cars are worth spending the big dollars once vs. doing them two and three times and spending more than the pricey setup you tried to avoid. Buying a complete long block from a well known builder will save you the machine shop horror story thread. Tuning and engine management will depend your ability or should I say the owners ability and decisions. Chip vs. Fancy computer is a debate that can be searched. Please don't start a thread on that.
Just got back in cleaned up a lot of grime and oil going to go get a bunch of fresh vacuum line T's and Y's. Picked up that stock turbo the other day for 250 seems in so so no oil leaks and just about no shaft play going to put it all in later tonight see if I can get it running. I will call Extreme Automatics here in a few.

Any Idea on brand and size of turbo I should look at ? Keep getting mixed reviews on them and the power out put

You can read in the turbo section and the time slip and combo section of the forum to get an idea of what people are running. www.fullthrottlespeed.com and www.cottonsperformance.com both are great vendors who provide turbos. In the 11 years of going to GN shows here in So Cal., the only cars running stockers still are bone stock concours cars.