maxie

i am new to this forum and looking for advice. I am looking to buy a GN for my wife. She wanted to get one new as her first new car but her parents said no and she ended up with a mustang. Every time we see a GN at a show she makes sure we go look at it.

I am looking for something she can get in go and be trouble free.

I have found a few in my area and I am going to look at one Sunday. It has an aftermarket larger turbo, roller cam and roller rockers, ported heads and the stock original rearend. I am unsure what transmission is in the car. It is original paint with 97k miles on it.

Would you think this would a good one for her to drive??????

She is used to driving a highly modified Dodge Cummins truck and enjoys hearing the Tater Built Turbo spooling on it

Your thoughts????

It depends on many things. Like does your wife have the ability to handle a car like that? Also, if you are looking for a car that needs very little tinkering, then these aren't the best bet. The car you are going to look at has had some major additions and there are guys on here who can answer the possible ramifications with that. Another way to put it, would your wife appreciate a nice set of Snap-on tools for her birthday?

i am new to this forum and looking for advice. I am looking to buy a GN for my wife. She wanted to get one new as her first new car but her parents said no and she ended up with a mustang. Every time we see a GN at a show she makes sure we go look at it.

I am looking for something she can get in go and be trouble free.

I have found a few in my area and I am going to look at one Sunday. It has an aftermarket larger turbo, roller cam and roller rockers, ported heads and the stock original rearend. I am unsure what transmission is in the car. It is original paint with 97k miles on it.

Would you think this would a good one for her to drive??????

She is used to driving a highly modified Dodge Cummins truck and enjoys hearing the Tater Built Turbo spooling on it

Your thoughts????
Need more info. Pictures? Price? Who owns it? Who works on it?

Your thoughts????

My first thought is, "Does she have a sister"? :D

These cars are now old enough that you may get a clean a dependable one, or you may get a car with issues.
Best to get with the locals in your area to check out a bunch of cars before you decide.
Let us know if you have any questions. There is nothing wrong with a few tasteful mods. Sometimes they can even improve dependability.
The fixer-uppers can nickel and dime you to death if you're not careful.

Welcome to the site and happy hunting.:)

Mike Barnard

Here are a few pictures of it

Attachments

• IMG_2110.JPG
    IMG_2110.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2101.JPG
    IMG_2101.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2060.JPG
    IMG_2060.JPG
    424.2 KB · Views: 136
Don't want to get her something to nice or a survivor that she wouldn't want to drive. She has been around muscle cars the last 22 years but has only driven one plus she daily drives a highly modified 2003 Cummins 4x4

Motor and trans were built by Banger Percormance and the car is out of Kentucky

Attachments

• IMG_2109.JPG
    IMG_2109.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2104.JPG
    IMG_2104.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2102.JPG
    IMG_2102.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 130
Looks like you got some stuff to get you started. Also looks like it could use a little cleaning up. I don't see any gauges it there, oil, fuel pressure and boost are required. The scanmaster is important and that's good. You should find out more about the motor, injectors, so-on. If you know the specifics of it's upgrades, then it will give you a clue as to what it should be capable of.

How long ago was the engine done? Why did it need a rebuild?
I see some old Kenne Bell parts. If it has a kenne Bell chip, there is a good chance that the head gaskets and bearings have been pounded on.
Are those fiberglass bumpers? If so, does he still have the originals? How does the trans shift thru the gears? Smooth, but firm, or clunky and slips the 2/3 shift? I'm not saying that this is a bad car. It just looks to me like it's been driven hard and put away wet. If you're looking for something maintenance free-ish, you may want to see what else is out there. What are they asking for this cream puff?

On the good side, it looks like it'll be needing bumper fillers soon. We can fix that.:D

I went and looked at it today

The interior is perfect. The bottom of the car looks as good as the top. It does have the 200r4 with a trans break

It has a 70mm turbo, aftermarket crank and rods. The odometer shows 97k miles. Appears to be 90% original paint

The only Gage's we're the scan master and a boost gage.

It is a two owner car out of Tennessee

Heya Maxie and welcome!

I am not an authority on these cars, but I want to give you some things to think about. Hopefully it will help you to find the right car for your wife.

First and foremost, Spoolfool said it best, if she is craving a GN, we need to know if she has sisters, or would be open-minded to cloning. (haha)

Okay, seriously now. The first thing you are going to need is someone to work on the car. I get the impression since she has driven modified cars in the past, that you guys have a resource for that. (Be it you, her, or someone you know). In addition to having someone who can turn the wrench, it is important to link up with the Turbo guys in your area. These cars, when not sorted out, can drive even the most experienced mechanics crazy. Getting in with the local guys, who know all the nuances of these cars will save you lots of time and money. They are 30 years old. The good news is that most everything that fails on the cars, the knowledgeable folks here know about. Imagine replacing your cars Alternator, Battery, Battery cables and re-located the grounds (all on your dime) because your car wasn't charging correctly. Now imagine a knowledgeable person would have told you to check the lightbulb socket on the volts light since a GN wont charge properly if that isn't seated correctly and making a good connection and the dashboard shifts over time and the dried out wires could lose their contact. It's the kind of thing that will drive you nuts, and your average mechanic doesn't deal with every day.

Before I comment about the car you posted about, I think it is important you identify the list of qualities you want the GN to posses. From what I gathered so far, reliability is your top requirement. If that is true, remember that with high performance, generally comes higher maintenance and reliability can be compromised if you are not 100% familiar with what is done to the car. Generally speaking, the 'safest' advice for a truly reliable car is to get one as close to stock as possible, one that was well cared for, and you do all the mods yourself. That way you aren't chasing down someone else's gremlins. Generally speaking I advise avoiding cars that have had major engine work less than 2 years priors to being listed for sale or cars that have been heavily modified that haven't seen the street for at least two years in a row. A reliable GN is one that has been running without issue consistently. You don't want a car that someone was able to 'get running again' and looking to sell off. (There are of course exceptions to everything)

Okay so in regards to the car you posted, it clearly has been designed to be raced at the track. Ya generally don't have a trans brake installed unless you are taking your launches and track time slips seriously. What that tells me is that this particular car was built to be raced, by a racer. This isn't inherently bad, but it places greater emphasis on knowing EXACTLY what was done to the motor, when, and by whom. One of the posters above identified some performance parts that are 'dated'. This also isn't bad, BUT if the car was being raced this whole time, those parts could be well worn and potentially be due for service. The flipside is that if your mods were done last summer, it would seem odd that the car is listed for sale so quickly.

You mentioned you have a few in your area for sale. Here is my advice. Pretend money is no object. Search the entire country for GNs. See what is out there, how the ads look, what mods are listed, and what the prices are. (Again pretend money is no object). Get an idea of what you 'could' have. Reading all the ads will make you feel better or worse about the cars in your area. Don't railroad yourself into buying the first GN you see, or picking from the litter that is close to you. Also buy as much car as you can afford. These cars will nickle and dime you (only the nickles seem to only come in $500 increments haha). Many GN fans have had their dream ruined by purchasing another guys mistakes.

A stock GN, properly tuned is an animal. Lightly modded with some bolt on parts and they are a beast. A full blown race engine and trans, built by a performance shop sounds like a monster. I am not certain the first GN in your stable should be a monster. Monsters tend to be kept in their cage (garage) more than they are roaming free. My gut tells me this may not be the GN for your wife, but as I disclaimed I am not an authority on these cars.

Good Luck in your search, an let us know what you decide!

Last edited:
At this point in time I have one highly modified street car But it is old school / carbureted. I work with a guy that has two GN's and has been a lot of help.

The GN in this conversation has an excellent body and interior. I would rather buy a super nice body and have to retune it. This GN has been together for around 10 years and sitting for the last 6 years. The owner has multiple cars and doesn't have the time to drive them.

Thanks for all the input

Well. The question of the day is....

Why has it been sitting for 6 years?
What broke and why?

Have you looked at the cars for sale section on this board ?? A lot of nice cars sell here . Check this one out.
http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/1987-grand-national-with-t-tops-in-central-il-19-500.448950/
This is the kind of information one needs before buying a GN!!!!!!!

Even I (who has owned a Turbo Buick for 23 years) wouldn't buy one without this kind information! This is a friendly seller who wants his pride and joy to find the perfect home!

It's not what a seller tells you that is important..... It's what he doesn't tell you, or even worse, what he doesn't know either. And this guy knows and will tell you all.

Find a car like this.

I ended up buying the car. I will post more pictures when I get time. I have been real busy with work. it base Edge injectors in it from what I seen on the side of them M000200

Congrats and welcome to the family. Can't wait to hear more about it and see some pics. :)

Mike B.

A few pictures

Attachments

• IMG_2153.JPG
    IMG_2153.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    601.1 KB · Views: 94