BoilerDeez

Hello all. Longtime fan of the turbo buicks. Currently own an 85 regal limited that was our family car growing up. Love the car but she needs a lot of work.

Would like to find a turbo buick that's solid, but not a showcar. I stopped and checked one out today. It's definitely a project. Anyone have any advice on what this would be worth or able to decipher the options tag? It's really more than I want to tackle right now, but if I can get it right, I might go for it. Thanks in advance for the help/advice.View media item 346

I should add, car doesn't run. Turns over, but couldn't get it to fire. Owner said starter has issues, fwiw...

20170412_174832 (1).jpg
View media item 346

Last edited:
The craigslist link works. It all depends on how much you want to put into a car. Also, can you do the work yourself? Double that asking price and you can get a pretty nice T or Gn that won't have a ton of needs.

The craigslist link works. It all depends on how much you want to put into a car. Also, can you do the work yourself? Double that asking price and you can get a pretty nice T or Gn that won't have a ton of needs.
Yeah, this car will need floor pans replaced as well as quarter pannels, likely doors. Honestly, I've never done any body work myself. I'd like to think I could replace the floor pans, but it wold likely be a long, slow process for me to get this thing going.

If anyone else is interested I have some more photos I'd be willing to share. I think someone could save it. Probably just not going to be me unfortunately...

Welcome to the site. Take your time and find the cleanest one that you can afford. The fixer-uppers will nickle and dime you to death.
Best to get with the Turbo Buick locals in your area. Where do you live?

Happy hunting.
Mike Barnard

Welcome to the site. Take your time and find the cleanest one that you can afford. The fixer-uppers will nickle and dime you to death.
Best to get with the Turbo Buick locals in your area. Where do you live?

Happy hunting.
Mike Barnard
Thanks Mike! I live in the Indianapolis area. A lot of rusty cars around here...

Welcome to the site!

I am sure the pics don't tell the full story, but rust is the cancer of these cars. The pics appear to show that rust is already present and starting to spread. This is a T-Top car and there is rust at the bottom of the doors. For every spot of rust you do see there are a bunch you don't. (search this board for ttop and rust and you will see what I mean) The under-body could be even scarier. When considering a project car, you need to be honest with yourself about what your strengths and weaknesses are in terms what you can do to the car, then compare it to what your goals are.

Every car has a story, but very rarely does the story about a GN project car have a happy ending unless you are already very skilled and already have plenty of surplus parts for these cars. Beyond the body work that would surely need to be done, there is the starting issue you know going into it. Additionally, once you get it started, there is the issue of getting it 'running' right so that when you jam on the gas pedal, the car behaves like you want it to. And then there is the interior.

As SpoolFool mentioned above, you want to buy the cleanest car you can possible afford. I know you are hoping to find a diamond in the rough, but it is extremely hard to do with these cars. Many people blow them up trying to get them to go faster, and then cant afford to fix them so they sit in decay.

If you were willing to spend 9k on this, I am willing to bet it needs at least another 3k in parts to get running. (Starter, brake system, all new rubber under the hood, gas tank/fuel system, plugs, wires, tires, cooling system) So you are at 12k , not counting your time and you haven't improved the paint/rust situation or the interior. Look in the for sale section of this board and see what 12k will buy you.

Again, if you are a body guy, and have access to parts, and a slush fund filled with cash, it is always good to see a GN get brought back to life. But if you are hoping this is just a $500 repair and a detail job away from your dream car, I worry you will be disappointed.

Just my opinion of course.
Good luck in whatever you decide!

Welcome to the site!

I am sure the pics don't tell the full story, but rust is the cancer of these cars. The pics appear to show that rust is already present and starting to spread. This is a T-Top car and there is rust at the bottom of the doors. For every spot of rust you do see there are a bunch you don't. (search this board for ttop and rust and you will see what I mean) The under-body could be even scarier. When considering a project car, you need to be honest with yourself about what your strengths and weaknesses are in terms what you can do to the car, then compare it to what your goals are.

Every car has a story, but very rarely does the story about a GN project car have a happy ending unless you are already very skilled and already have plenty of surplus parts for these cars. Beyond the body work that would surely need to be done, there is the starting issue you know going into it. Additionally, once you get it started, there is the issue of getting it 'running' right so that when you jam on the gas pedal, the car behaves like you want it to. And then there is the interior.

As SpoolFool mentioned above, you want to buy the cleanest car you can possible afford. I know you are hoping to find a diamond in the rough, but it is extremely hard to do with these cars. Many people blow them up trying to get them to go faster, and then cant afford to fix them so they sit in decay.

If you were willing to spend 9k on this, I am willing to bet it needs at least another 3k in parts to get running. (Starter, brake system, all new rubber under the hood, gas tank/fuel system, plugs, wires, tires, cooling system) So you are at 12k , not counting your time and you haven't improved the paint/rust situation or the interior. Look in the for sale section of this board and see what 12k will buy you.

Again, if you are a body guy, and have access to parts, and a slush fund filled with cash, it is always good to see a GN get brought back to life. But if you are hoping this is just a $500 repair and a detail job away from your dream car, I worry you will be disappointed.

Just my opinion of course.
Good luck in whatever you decide!
Thanks Dialtone. I did stop and checked this car out personally. It is much worse than pics show. I have additional pics if anyone is interested. I will say, I talked him way down off that price. Low enough, it got me really thinking about it, even though I've never done any body work at all. What worried me most on this car was the rust I could see inside on the speedometer. The radio also randomly turned on when we were trying to get it to start. Might be some electrical issues. I'm fully aware this would be a time and money suck, for sure. At what price would you guys consider it cheap enough you just can't pass it up though??? If I don't get this car, I'm hoping someone who's able to save it on here does...