Oil change question

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
First off this is my first car with a turbo on it.

I was reading my Chilton's manual over the turbo 3.8. It was telling me anytime you change the oil you're supposed to "unplug the pink wire from the distributor and crank the engine several times until the oil light goes out".

This is obviously for engines equipped with an actual rotary distributor. I know on rotary distributor cars the pink wire is the 12 + source to the coil.

Now what about the SFI engines? I am assuming you will also need to disconnect the ignition wire and crank the engine a few times to get the flow of oil into the turbo before you actually let the engine fire and run?

If so where do you typically unplug the ignition at? Because I can't seem to locate the power + source for the coil packs.

Thanks.

unplug the ECM wire. its located at the fron passenger side. there is a power source running from the battery post to the connector.

Cool, I'll look for this.

I've also wondered about just pulling the ECM fuse at the block.

First off this is my first car with a turbo on it.

I was reading my Chilton's manual over the turbo 3.8. It was telling me anytime you change the oil you're supposed to "unplug the pink wire from the distributor and crank the engine several times until the oil light goes out".

Thanks.

i personally think this is a bad idea no matter what manual it's in-------i would want to get it started as quickly as possible with minimal cranking time---------- if the engine is sitting the bearings may not have pressure but at least they are not dry--------the cam lobes, lifters and rockers don't get any oil while you are cranking the engine and since they only get oil from splash they are going to "wipe" themselves dry during a prolonged dry crank---------the only precaution i would take is to prefill the oil filter before installing it-------this one small step will do a lot to protect your engine...................RC

i personally think this is a bad idea no matter what manual it's in-------i would want to get it started as quickly as possible with minimal cranking time---------- if the engine is sitting the bearings may not have pressure but at least they are not dry--------the cam lobes, lifters and rockers don't get any oil while you are cranking the engine and since they only get oil from splash they are going to "wipe" themselves dry during a prolonged dry crank---------the only precaution i would take is to prefill the oil filter before installing it-------this one small step will do a lot to protect your engine...................RC

I'd have to agree. Cranking the engine before allowing it to fire isn't really any healthier than just starting the engine after an oil change. You're still spinning the engine and the crank is spinning in the bearings, just at a lower RPM without ignition.

Make sure you FILL FILL FILL the oil filter, a new filter will absorb a ton of oil so don't just fill it to the top and assume that it's full. Let it sit for a second and you'll be able to pour more in as the air gets purged out. Maybe disconnect the ECM and crank for 5 or 7 seconds just to get some initial priming, but sitting there with the ignition disabled cranking for 15 or 30 seconds is just as risky as just letting it fire up in the first place.

Wow, not sure why Chiltons said to do this but they said it specifically for a turbocharged engine....my thoughts were starting an engine right away would cause damage to the turbocharger and cranking it w/o the ignition connected would allow some oil to get in there before it started spinning a thousand rpms.

I ended up pulling the ECM/IGN fuse and cranking for a few seconds until I saw a pressure reading on the gauge, then put the fuse in and fired her up. She's running like a top with fresh oil in her crank case.

Change the oil and filter and start it up, forget about the other bs, make sure there is no leaky after about 30 seconds or so, shut it off and check the oil.

Ron

unplug the ECM wire. its located at the fron passenger side. there is a power source running from the battery post to the connector.
Is the ECM wire a 14 gauge orange that has a grey plastic connector near the battery?

Yes, the orange wire, just put the oil in the car and fire it up, you are reading way to much into this simple project of changing oil.

Ron

Thanx Ron, not sure why my Chilton's manual said to disconnect the ignition and crank the engine over w/o letting it fire if you guys say it's not any real thing to be worried about during an oil change.

Thanx Ron, not sure why my Chilton's manual said to disconnect the ignition and crank the engine over w/o letting it fire if you guys say it's not any real thing to be worried about during an oil change.

Probably to cover their own butts just so nobody can blame a service manual for not warning them about dry starts.

One of the first steps when owning a TR is to throw out the Chilton's manual.:rolleyes: Find the guy who sells the factory manual on CD and you will be better off.