Oil pump problems. Only primes w certain filters

psycho6cyl

Ponies Are For Lil Girls
So as stated my motor will only start w your standard filter. I tried Buickgn turbo saver couldn't start, went back to regular filter no problems. Changed to k/n filter w nut on end and wouldn't build pressure. Tried priming it w that filter on and no pressure. Put regular filter on and it primes no problem. What the hell gives????

The filter shouldn't have anything to do with priming. The oil pump is prior to the filter. Once the pump is primed it should remain that way unless the oil is somehow leaking back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am filling them as much as I can maybe about 1/2 way.

Well when I primed w k/n filter I got no oil pressure. If it's slowly leaking back what would that indicate? Pump gears chipped or something like that? Thx for info

For shits and giggles I'm going to change filters again and see if it happens.

I am filling them as much as I can maybe about 1/2 way.

Well when I primed w k/n filter I got no oil pressure. If it's slowly leaking back what would that indicate? Pump gears chipped or something like that? Thx for info

What happens when you use a drill to spin the pump

What happens when you use a drill to spin the pump

With the k/n filter I got nothing. Had a guage to verify. Change filter to purlator stock replacement hit it w drill and got pressure

The problem here isn't filter related. The pump should remain primed even with no filter in place. The oil pump should function with no filter. It would spray oil everywhere but still. The filter is after the pump

filling wont affect prime but it will delay the pressure on a gauge if its empty

Agreed the filter should have nothing to do with the oil pump priming.

After you get it primed with whatever filter continue to run the pump for bit then pull the filter and see if oil is aerated (full of little bubbles). If so you have a leak on the suction side of the pump. Probable causes include front cover gasket and/or oil pick up gasket.

Rick

Agreed the filter should have nothing to do with the oil pump priming.

After you get it primed with whatever filter continue to run the pump for bit then pull the filter and see if oil is aerated (full of little bubbles). If so you have a leak on the suction side of the pump. Probable causes include front cover gasket and/or oil pick up gasket.

Rick
I just got done with this exact issue! Mine was the forward bolt on the pickup tube had come loose and allowed air into the suction side. It was very sporadic which was strange but once I replaced the gasket and locktighted the bolts no more issue!

With the k/n filter I got nothing. Had a guage to verify. Change filter to purlator stock replacement hit it w drill and got pressure
Stay away from k/n oil filters! I've had the same problem with them and my engine began to knock. Installed a different filter and had no problems. I only use wix or napa oil filters.