Old compaq laptop 486 having problems

Roc87

11 Second V6
Not sure what the problem is, but I can't seem to get my Compaq laptop to charge the battery! I leave it plugged in overnight and turn it on in the morning only to see the battery meter very low, and it shuts off soon after that. I didn't use it for about 2 months, it worked fine before that would hold a charge for 30 - 45 minutes. It might be a short, I plug it in to charge and the battery charge light comes on, then shortly after that it goes off! I bought this thing off ebay for the sole purpose of running direct scan and I don't know what kind of DC adapter to buy either! Anybody know what's going on? Or should I just buy another laptop????

The battery is probably junk. The best thing to do is buy a power inverter. If you try to buy just a car adapter made for the Compaq, it will probably cost you a lot. It will probably cost you more than the laptop is worth. Same thing goes for trying to buy a new battery, although you might get lucky. If you get the inverter, you can probably find one for aron$30 if you look hard enough. I have seen them in Heartland America cataolgs for $30 for a 175 watt inverter. They will output the 110VAC so that you can just plug your laptop into it. Thier site is www.heartlandamerica.com. Just search for 'inverter'.

Brian

Thanks! I was thinking about doing that, if I get a good enough inverter I could run a 13" TV/VCR that'll keep the wife and kid quiet for a road trip:D

had the same problem with my compaq laptop - bought an inverter and turned the old battery into a drawer.

A *Large* Drawer!:D I don't think my motorcycle batter weighs that much!