Opinions/Experiences with 3rd Gen RX-7s

Weazel

This just in,alky is good
Hello. I just saw a '94 RX-7 for sale locally. I have always been impressed with these cars and have wanted one for a long while. This one is $10k with 75k on the engine. I have no other info, I will call the guy at lunch. Anyway, I know they're very prone to mtc. issues (like blowing motors every 50k or so). My Ford Probe was basically a Mazda, so I know how "reliable" their sports cars are. That's not a huge concern though, since it'd probably be a 2-3k miles a year car.
Has anybody or their close friend owned one? Any horror stories? Anybody really like them? Just prodding for info, I'll find a REX site soon.

Awesome car!!!

Owned a '93 RX-7 R-1 from 1995-1999. Not a daily driver, but much fun and not many problems. Engine never gave any trouble even when slightly modded----although I only had it from 9000-22000 on the odometer. A true sports car!! I lowered it, installed 3 piece OZ futura 17x9.5 and 17x8.5 wheels, PFS microprocessor, downpipe, midpipe and K&Ns. It went 12.95@111. I'd love another one, but it would seem the nice ones (low, low miles) are getting hard to find. One thing's for sure------Chevy REALLY ripped off the styling of the RX-7 for the new C-5. Oh well, mimicking is like flattering......or something like that.

I also owned a 93 RX-7 R1. Bought it with 35k miles for $12.5k. Reason I sold it was that I was offered $16.5 for it 5 months and 4k miles later:eek: :eek: Quick profit:D I will say this, you will not find a car that handles like a 3rd gen RX-7. Closet thing you can get to a race car handling wise. That thing sure was fun to drive. I didn't really have it long enough to have any problems with it, so I can't help you there. Good luck

Well.......one saying comes to mind "Bring your checkbook for repairs". Talking from experience on the 20 or so 3rd gen. Rx's that have been in our shop in the last 6 mo's. Most of the cars were modded, and all in different ways. Some were factory twin-turbo, some re-trimmed t-turbo, one with a Garret T-04 single turbo conversion (looked pretty close to a GN factry turbo;) ) They do handle quite well, but not much better than a C4 Vette, they are very high to maintain, parts seem to be VERY expensive, and big/tall people have a rough time fitting in them (like me). When tuned correctly these cars fly, when out of tune they drive HORRIBLE! IMHO I would look for a last year turbo Supra, or a 89 TTA:D :D :D

I don't know about the cars, but I've been checking around about their engines. They seem really reliable unless you are careless about things (just like all cars). They like strange mods (2 degrees advance, 3mm scrapers) but they are completely differenet engines. I'm looking for but a relatively stock single Turbo motor(200hp) in my girlfirends VW karmen ghia. I figure almost 2000lbs and about 200 hp, sounds good to me!! I like the motors personally and i'm looking forward to working onthem.

Originally posted by Weazel
Hello. I just saw a '94 RX-7 for sale locally. I have always been impressed with these cars and have wanted one for a long while. This one is $10k with 75k on the engine. I have no other info, I will call the guy at lunch. Anyway, I know they're very prone to mtc. issues (like blowing motors every 50k or so). My Ford Probe was basically a Mazda, so I know how "reliable" their sports cars are. That's not a huge concern though, since it'd probably be a 2-3k miles a year car.
Has anybody or their close friend owned one? Any horror stories? Anybody really like them? Just prodding for info, I'll find a REX site soon.

I've a friend that has a 3rd gen 7. He's modded it pretty good. Big T-78 single turbo, fuel system, street port, etc., etc. He just blew it up, too. I think it's the 3rd motor he has had in that car since starting to mod it heavily. He's only running 17psi (on 93 octane), and has made some good numbers on a dynojet, but the engine just can't put up with the abuse for too long. He just popped the apex seals, and I think they went out the exhaust and into the turbo. If you want to leave one stock, I think they will last a bit longer and they can be plenty of fun. Once you start putting the screws to them, however, I think it becomes a crap shoot on when it's going to come from together.

You could always look at Hinson Supercars if you want to make modifications to one. :D

Stay away! If your used to the abuse the TR's will take and think you can do the same with the FD's(mazda talk for 3rd gens) your mistaken. These cars are expensive! $200 for the serpetine belt the factory twin tubo setup utilizes a single exhaust housing that ties together both turbos. These are know to crack and cause boosting problems. The first time you over boost because of vacume leaks or what not, the apex seals blow out. They don't handle any kind of slight overheating. The back rotor accully cooks due to the fact that the coolant flows around the front rotor first and the rear rotor is heated by the factory cat that is located beside it. And most motors don't last past 30K. With the cost of all the parts and the fact that they don't handle much abuse, you have to baby these cars big time! Turbo timers and such are highly recomended. I like the fact that an aftermarket turbo that will run low 10's and would only cost me $1200 at the most in a TR. Factory replacement turbo for a FD $1500!!!!!

Now if your talking about buying the car and swaping a LS1 that would be awesome. Those rotaries are not light engines. On the RX7 board there's a guy that has done this. I would seem that even the factory 320HP in a 2300lb car would be a lot of fun.

Ryan