Opinions on converting to Blow-thru. 83 Ttype

Discussion in 'Before Black (non-SFI) Tech' started by ShawnR, Mar 1, 2017.

1. blacknight80

blacknight80
    Expand Collapse

Awesome. It was meant to be haha. Let me know if you see a ta 33c for sale and we'll call it even lol

2. WarWagon

WarWagon
    Expand Collapse
    Caustic Cacophony

Just keep a lookout for the adapter plate that goes on that Weiand intake it's missing in those pics. That is the second Gen Weiand Excellerator/Yunick intake they have an EGR passage with the valve mount plugged and are not an air gap design, It's a nice intake for sure and discontinued now.
    I do recommend staying away from the drawthrough for performance, you will be shooting yourself in the foot with that "turbo foot".
    A.J. "DrFrankenstein" has done enough research on that and it don't flow even mounted on a Weiand intake.

3. ShawnR

ShawnR
    Expand Collapse

Any hint as to what it is supposed to look like? I am going to assume/hope that I can just make one out of a piece of aluminum plate, but it would be handy to see a pic of one first.

4. WarWagon

WarWagon
    Expand Collapse
    Caustic Cacophony

Yes I can provide a pic reference, these are mine, the top adapter is part #7471
    [​IMG]

5. ek02

ek02
    Expand Collapse

The intake on the right is a rare intake. I wish I had that one. The adapter plate that's missing on the left manifold covers the passage from the EGR valve I believe. If you block off the EGR a carb spacer may work. The 7471 plate is going to be hard to find.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ShawnR

ShawnR
    Expand Collapse

I got the inake (with a home made adapter plate) on Friday and all is good there. I still don't know what to do with the whole thing.

The new 4bbl EFI units some with their own ECU to control everything, but they won't work with a knock sensor. So I can use megasquirt to control everything and have the knock sensor.

Megasquirt can control individual injectors too, so why pay $1000 for a 4bbl EFI with a brain if I'm not going to use it?

Then Shawn stumbles across this thread: http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/weiand-carb-intake-to-efi-conversion.343161/

Key picture: [​IMG]

I'm fairly sure that this setup with injectors would cost less than a new Holley/FiTech unit and looks a hell of a lot cooler!
    I could use a factory EFI intake too, but where is the fun in that.

Hire it built or buy a TIG welder? Hmmmm....I've always wanted a tig welder...

This is the direction I am leaning at the moment unless I find a good deal on a factory SFI intake before I buy another welder.

7. ShawnR

ShawnR
    Expand Collapse

I like the 4bbl throttle body style since it would work with my existing throttle and TV cables.

This one has built in IAC and TPS for $360.

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...le_bodies/4_bbl_throttle_bodies/parts/112-588

[​IMG]

So, at the moment, the plan is custom intake with SFI, 4bb throttle body. replumb existing turbo to blow through and add intercooler. Megasquirt to run everything. If an SFI intake falls into my lap, I may go that route, but I like the idea of a custom job just because it's cool! And it gives me a reason to get a TIG.

8. ITSAV6

ITSAV6
    Expand Collapse
    It's my Granny's car!

might be too much throttle body.

9. ShawnR

ShawnR
    Expand Collapse

1000 cfm seems to be about as small as they go.

10. ITSAV6

ITSAV6
    Expand Collapse
    It's my Granny's car!

I think the elbow on the carb intake and a single throttle body would work well

11. ITSAV6

ITSAV6
    Expand Collapse
    It's my Granny's car!