Plumbing Acid core or Rosin core

Neither, you want plain 95/5 Tin Antinomy solder for domestic water service. Both of the other two are for electronic uses. I also use silver bearing solder for HVAC refrigeration tubing.

Thank you

I'll ask for that at my local plumbing supply house and not look like a due-fess! Drew:)

Use Oatey #5 paste and don't use a POS hardware torch. Use a Turbo Torch with 1lb Mapp canisters. Cost about $45 bucks and it will be the best money you ever spent.

Originally posted by bob86gn
Both of the other two are for electronic uses.

FYI.. Do NOT use acid core for ANYTHING electrical. The acid in the flux attacks the soldered joint over time and causes electrical probs that will have you so frustrated you'll be ready to push the car off a cliff.

just my electronics tech .00002 :D

Thanks guys!

The solder the guy at the hardware store just didn't look right when I used it that's why the questions. I marched right down to the local plumbing supply hose for the 95/5 solder and the correct paste. Big difference. Thank you again. Drew:)

lets see...

For plumbing 50/50 but 95/5 and/or silver solder is the best. Make sure you emery cloth or clean the surface well, some soldering paste and you are good to go. Rosin core for electrical connections. Not sure what acid core is used for , but in my 15 years in the hardware business, hardly sold acid core.
;)

Acid core works well for soldering steel boxes say stainless metals.

Sometimes you need a ground wire attached to them or a way to seal them up tight.

Usually I would use the liquid acid for that type of soldering which is sulfuric I believe. Fumes and liquid of course are dangerous.

If you burn the crap out of acid or rosin with the torch it's amazing what you can do with whats left over, in a pinch. ;)

Much easier to do it the right way with no flux solder however. :)

Re: lets see...

Originally posted by Boost
For plumbing 50/50 but 95/5 and/or silver solder is the best. Make sure you emery cloth or clean the surface well, some soldering paste and you are good to go. Rosin core for electrical connections. Not sure what acid core is used for , but in my 15 years in the hardware business, hardly sold acid core.
;)

50/50 is illegal to be used in potable water systems. Leaded solder has been illegal since 1987 BOCA.