Possible 84' Pro Tour Restomod

John Knolla

Greetings all, new guy here.

Mother-in-law's husband passed away unexpectedly and I have first shot at his unrestored previous show car, an '84 GN.

Realize it is a bit of an odd duck as a hot air car but thinking it would potentially make a great starting point for a Pro Tour restomod (and maybe keep me from buying a circa 2010 SRT8 Charger). It's been waiting in a barn for quite some time, was running last time anyone knew, is supposedly in good shape mechanically and bodywise but has been attacked by mice on the interior.

As you might be able to tell, I have not yet seen it. Planning to go out and see it before we head back to San Diego and if it is, as some think, a T-Top car and is not a total basket case I may be pulling the trigger but curious about any pitfalls or recommendations.

When I get out to the farm I'll post up pics and any data I can get from the Title/Registration.

Great community by the way, tons of info.

JK

Greetings all, new guy here.

Mother-in-law's husband passed away unexpectedly and I have first shot at his unrestored previous show car, an '84 GN.

Realize it is a bit of an odd duck as a hot air car but thinking it would potentially make a great starting point for a Pro Tour restomod (and maybe keep me from buying a circa 2010 SRT8 Charger). It's been waiting in a barn for quite some time, was running last time anyone knew, is supposedly in good shape mechanically and bodywise but has been attacked by mice on the interior.

As you might be able to tell, I have not yet seen it. Planning to go out and see it before we head back to San Diego and if it is, as some think, a T-Top car and is not a total basket case I may be pulling the trigger but curious about any pitfalls or recommendations.

When I get out to the farm I'll post up pics and any data I can get from the Title/Registration.

Great community by the way, tons of info.

JK
Still haven'T been out to see car but did find an old car show sign for it, factory headers, factory power moonroof, power windows and locks, aluminum valve covers and intake, digital dash and 6-way Recaro's.

Still going to try and see it before we leave but intrigued.

JK

So got out to the farm and saw the GN. 1984, factory astroroof, ~103K miles - show car in the mid-80's, then daily driver for my mother-in-law's husband who was a paraplegic so daily transfer in and out with his wheelchair - was parked about 7 years ago but has been started and run regularly and was driven to the current location a couple years ago.

Normal rust and wear under the hood and under the car for a midwest car to best I could see. Unable to start it or open the trunk but it did turn over (low batt). Digital dash appears fully functional and has the touchscreen climate control. Interior is in better shape then I expected, just needs carpet, bolsters on the front seats reupholstered and a couple replacement switches. Exterior was a disappointment, significant drying and cracking in the paint, all bumper fillers have cracked, all glass is good including astroroof. Trim all needs strip and repaint, one small half-dollar size rust bubble on right B pillar, everything else appears solid and straight just severely weathered/age.

My thoughts are to offer $3K and see if mother-in-law accepts. If she does, we'll come back in Jan or Feb and trailer it back to San Diego. Don't have the resources or space for a frame-off, so thinking POR-15 on the underside, strip carpet, lay down dynamat, have bolsters reupholstered and put in new carpet, and focus on mechanicals - ridetech Level 2 coilovers, upgraded anti-sway bars front and rear, Baer or Willwood brakes, alky and scantool, adjustable wastegte bar, '87 ECM and MAF, new shoes (thinking 17" wheels, and then paint.

JK

Attachments

• 20161227_121229.jpg
    20161227_121229.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 117
  • 20161227_121239.jpg
    20161227_121239.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 117
  • 20161227_120335.jpg
    20161227_120335.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 110
  • 20161227_120349.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 100
  • 20161227_121123.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 100
  • 20161227_120401.jpg
    20161227_120401.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 115
  • 20161227_121348.jpg
    20161227_121348.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 101
  • 20161227_121646.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
not a bad project if you got the patience to learn, time and $$$. my first buick was a hot air car.

Mother-in-law accepted the $3K offer, waiting on title to get processed with death certificate then Wifey and I will take her Tahoe back to KS, grab a U-Haul car hauler and bring it back to Cali.

Gonna be fun!

JK

Glad to see one coming back from the dead and Welcome , This is a great site a lot of good folks and a butt load of knowledge , Keep us informed and good luck , Keith

Where in CA are you?

I'm in Temecula and there are others around too.

John,

Congrats on the GN. Let us know how the progress goes.

Mike B.