Powdercoating Trim Pieces

redhotrod

Turbo Happy
I just went to the junkyard and pulled some window trim (front & back) from a cutlass. They charged me $15 for all of it.
Now I was thinking of having it powdercoated semi gloss black. I called one company around here and they wanted $10 a piece ( 8 pieces total, 3 up front, 5 in back) for a total of $80, and thats with me prepping them first. All they would have to do is spray and cure it. Doesn't that sound expensive$?
Now my other option I'm thinking about is Eastwood sells a basic Powdercoating setup for $150, and a Deluxe Kit for $200. I'm thinking this might be a better way to go, that way Whenever I need something powdercoated, or anyone else, Its right there. Not many people do powdercoating around here, so it would be handy. Plus, I already have a used electric oven dedicated for it laying around.
Whatchya think?
If I get it, anyone around NE ohio get a hold of me if you need powdercoating done! I promise I won't break ya!
;)

Close to Cleveland, Ohio. This guy actually makes and powdercoats flower pots, but I did some electrical work for him and he told me if I ever needed anything coated, let him know.
His company is called WaterWell Planters, in Richmond Heights.

Thanks for the reply - I have an 84 T-Type also - how do you like the turbo link? What type of laptop are you using?

I like the turbo link cuz it works with 2 other of my vehicles, the '88 chevy pickup and my '90 beater s-10.
I got the laptop and turbolink together on a deal here in the parts 4 sale section. The laptop is ancient(286), but still does the job it should.

Thanks again. Guess that's the answer for me then. I have an 84 and an 87 - can use on both cars.

I also thought about the Eastwood powdercoating setup. I wonder how good it is? Anyone on this board tried it yet?

Dannyo

Be careful with the powdercoating. Someone posted not too long ago that the moron that attempted to powdercoat melted all of the trim.

i've been using the Hot Coat system for about a year. Its been great for the price.

Just have to follow the directions carefully and watch for the powder to flow-out/flash and then let it bake another 5 minutes or so if its a thin peice of metal you're coating.

Stuff like intakes take about 15 minutes to actually cure in the oven. 5 minutes at 500*F, then 10 minutes at 400*F-450*F

Just make sure the part is ultra-clean.

Yes be very careful all my trim was ruined and I had to locate all new or new to me to replace. If they know what they are doing, then it's a good idea. (never chips or flakes) but if they say they do and don't you have a melted mess on your hands....The system in Eastwood works good just need an oven big enough to put your trim in... Some of those pieces won't fit in a regular oven.

Anyone powdercoat polished aluminum? I am getting my alum MAF pipe and big mouth pipe polished and was going to get em powdered clear to keep em shiny with no maintenance. I have no idea what that would even cost though...$10 apiece would be awesome, I think.

make sure you clean the surface real well with soap and water.. then rinse with hot water, then dry with a lint-free cloth.

or...if it is bare aluminum, you can use acetone to clean the surface...

then powder coat it. whomever is doing your powder coating should know how to prep your parts.