Power touring GN Build Thread

Mostly family reasons and a desire to leave the oppressive heat of Florida. They're fiberglass, but I do have a set of smoothed steel bumpers I just need repainted.
View attachment 232679

James,

Keep me in mind on those smoothed steel bumpers. I would even trade you mine for those. I should be heading up to WI in the next few weeks to buy my cousins 2nd Camaro. I could stop on the way up or the way back. Just LMK

Can you tell me about the underhood pad you have on the car...where is that one from or did you do it yourself..could you post some pictures of it, as I'm looking to replace mine..thanks and great thread

Edit: I'm just going to make this my car's 'build' thread.

I pulled the engine over the weekend due to a leaky rear main. The engine ran well and this is my first motor pull. I plan on changing as many seals as possible and cleaning up the engine since it looks like an ecological disaster with the oil leak. I don't plan on any major upgrades but I do plan the following:

• change out stock timing gear (research shows can't go wrong with the TA one though expensive)
  • replace seals (open to your suggestions on where to buy, are kits available?)
  • powdercoat, powdercoat, powdercoat. (i'm ordering the eastwood gun, got pics of your engines?)
  • since the engine is out I plan on swapping the steering shaft to the jeep version. (got one for sale?)
  • clean off the undercoating. (original owner LOVED Zeibart, its awlful, any tips on it's removal?)
  • replace faulty ac compressor. (got a recommendation?, if not I'll search)
  • Replace powersteering pump. (mine has a slight whine)
  • perhaps run new transmission cooling lines since they're a pain anyway.
  • reroute and/or replace engine harness. (I really want a cleaner engine bay)
  • would like to clean up the firewall some (tips?)
I'm upgrading the suspension and brakes too, but I'm having a bad case of "whileI'matititis" I'm thinking of having the stock heads redone and ported as well as the intake. The car is mostly a cruiser, but the last time I ran it at the track with my same mods it put down a 96mph 1/8 mile time with a terrible 60 ft to run a 7.9 @ 96mph. So the car is making good power based on the mph... I know a good port job will really wake the car up, but that will involve cracking the mythical "virgin" head seal. ;)Looking for your input and suggestions on what you'd do.

I had a buddy already give me one good tip I probably wouldn't have done unless he suggested it. He said don't flip the motor over to unbolt the oil pan on the stand due to a chance of debris. It makes perfect since and I wouldn't have done that so I'm glad he suggested it.

Any tips would be great, I'll take some pics and share as I go. I already have some I'll post soon.
Whos car is in this picure, love the wheel and tire combo, anyone have details???????

Can you tell me about the underhood pad you have on the car...where is that one from or did you do it yourself..could you post some pictures of it, as I'm looking to replace mine..thanks and great thread

IT's a one off custom I bought off ebay.... at the time it was cheaper than a OEM pad.

Just competed at the CAM Challenge East in Peru, IN. CAM is a new SCCA class for American Muscle Cars...

Here is nice article with lots of G body shots even featuring some of my writing... http://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/...nd-at-the-speedway-motors-cam-challenge-east/

Heres my GN at the event:

gn1.JPG
gn2.JPG
gn3.JPG
gn4.JPG
gn5.JPG
gn7.JPG
gn8.JPG
gn9.JPG
gn10.JPG