pros and cons for a stroker

If all else equal the stroker should take less boost to make the same power as a stock stroke.
the better the heads and cam choice the better the cylinder fill
cubes are over rated when you throw a turbo in the mix .
calculating your 274cu in T at 3600lbs from et or mph its the same , you're just under 600hp at 20psi on a 7168
my 3.8 235cube at pretty much same boost (max boost was 20.6 ) with same turbo at 139mph 9.8 ... making 100hp more..
so much for cubes

wheres the difference.. rpm maybe .. spin a little motor 10% more and it will act like its 10% BIGGER ,

Last edited:
Just in general, people need to spend less money on cool guy stuff, and spend the money on important parts like a good torque converter and proper valve train. The car will run way better than a stroker with a crap converter, billet wheel BB turbo, and a 70mm throttle body.
Back to the original question, stroker cost more, is it worth it, probably not. I don't buy needing 2 or 3 lbs more boost to make up for 16cu.in. I would put the difference towards a good converter.

Why all the negativity???

I know it's winter and all but with all the grinding you do that ax of yours should be really sharp by now.

Lighten up and go cut some wood or play with it, WHO CARES!

The OP asked a question .. I gave him an answer based on using both .. and what he was intending to do .. not sure what your implying nor do I care ... the guys that have done it will give you their results ..

Now don't you have some convertors to pick on ?

"Not worth the added money.....

Besides, isn't the fastest 109 stock stroke??"

i think so and murphsters trying for the title...already at 9.20 and only 234cubes at 26.5psi max ..he didnt run that boost for the entire run ..and hes on 7168 3bolt , unported GN1 8 bolt aluminum heads, and a champion stock ported intake with small ports running the untouched felpro 96033 intake pan gasket ....and 93 w/alky

Last edited:
Just in general, people need to spend less money on cool guy stuff, and spend the money on important parts like a good torque converter and proper valve train. The car will run way better than a stroker with a crap converter, billet wheel BB turbo, and a 70mm throttle body.
Back to the original question, stroker cost more, is it worth it, probably not. I don't buy needing 2 or 3 lbs more boost to make up for 16cu.in. I would put the difference towards a good converter.

All things being equal and the only difference being stroked I'd think there is more power to be had.

In my case which isn't typical, I only bought my stroker because I couldn't buy the parts for that price whether standard or stroked and the beauty is that all machine work was done.

Would I build one from scratch or buy one done new from a vendor or member NO WAY !

Like said above, less money in the right places will get you faster time slips than what it costs to build a stroker.

The OP asked a question .. I gave him an answer based on using both .. and what he was intending to do .. not sure what your implying nor do I care ... the guys that have done it will give you their results ..

Now don't you have some convertors to pick on ?

Apparently you do care.

You keep bringing up my converter posts which is somehow a sore spot for you.

There were many respected people in that thread including Lonnie and others that not only confirmed what I was trying to convey but also went further and explained it so even the clueless would understand it.

Maybe your in a different category all together and you are beyond clueless. Get over it or start a thread on converters to explain why and how you know it all so well.

PS: You may want to learn how to spell converter before you start the thread. :p

The only thing that I have noticed driving various combo's is the off boost feel/response is slightly better with the stroker, now you use a stock stroke 109 with compression and the feel is very much the same.they are both enjoyable and fun if built and tuned correctly.

stroke it. its only money. u can always make more.....:) not necessary tho. u say ur bracket racing so u really don't need to make a little more power. but need and want are surely two different things....:blackalien:

Not a big fan of stroker motors. To many clearance issues. Blow a timing chain and you will have a mess.

I could not agree more with this. ^^^^

calculating your 274cu in T at 3600lbs from et or mph its the same , you're just under 600hp at 20psi on a 7168
my 3.8 235cube at pretty much same boost (max boost was 20.6 ) with same turbo at 139mph 9.8 ... making 100hp more..
so much for cubes

wheres the difference.. rpm maybe .. spin a little motor 10% more and it will act like its 10% BIGGER ,
I don't totally disagree, but there are way to many differences in our overall combos to conclude that a stoker isn't worth it. Talking about my car specifically if you wanna go there, I know it would be much faster at the track with a converter swap, but et's aren't my primary goal with the car, especially since I'm not cutting it up for a cage. It really depends on what you use the car for. On the street when your not spinning that small motor to 6500rpm the stroker makes a more noticeable difference.

calculating your 274cu in T at 3600lbs from et or mph its the same , you're just under 600hp at 20psi on a 7168.............................wheres the difference.. rpm maybe .. spin a little motor 10% more and it will act like its 10% BIGGER ,

Paul does a good job of summarizing what I have posted in the past about the stroker vs. stock crank debate over the years.

I have build and personally used many stroker 3.8 and 4.1 builds, and to take advantage of the added displacement for performance, an increase in RPM is needed for a noticeable increase in HP.

When the first China cranks became available they were only stock stroke. One of the first ones we obtained went into my alum block for reliability testing, heads, cam turbo and all other items remained the same.

The performance results were within .1 and 1-2 MPH in the quarter mile. The times off the line and response showed no change.

In the early NHRA days we set records with a de-stroked 3.8 running over 9000 RPM and 1375 HP!

Like Paul said, the HP is made in the heads with RPM and the proper supporting parts!

To keep this geared towards the OP. If your pistons ( hopefully are forged) are still good. Then replace the crank and rods with forged stuff and retain the pistons you have, because the pistons you have are no good for a stroker rotating assembly. That's if you want to be price conscious and put the money elsewhere like others have said numerous times in this thread. If your pistons are not reuseable and you plan to buy a complete rotating assembly then there is no price difference between the two. Why not stroke it?? it certainly wouldn't hurt, although the fastest TSM car with less then me would rag doll me in a race. lol

I'm currently working with a long rod, long stroke myself. I plan on boring and stroking everything I get my hands on for as long as I'm alive. I don't see the big cost increase unless you are over paying, or doing two or more at the same time. No matter what you end up with, as long as it blows hard and gets your blood pumping, enjoy it while you can! I'm 34 so I have some time before I'll be needing any other form of boost.

I'm currently working with a long rod, long stroke myself. I plan on boring and stroking everything I get my hands on for as long as I'm alive. I don't see the big cost increase unless you are over paying, or doing two or more at the same time. No matter what you end up with, as long as it blows hard and gets your blood pumping, enjoy it while you can! I'm 34 so I have some time before I'll be needing any other form of boost.

As long as you keep your hands off me and I don't have to watch, have at young man, have at it!

Last edited:
The more you use it on the street,the more the stroke is worth it. If you can also get the compression ratio up to 9.5/1, you'll have an even bigger grin on your face when you use your new engine. Then you can start running E85 and your big new grin will double in size. You'll actually view your car differently. You'll still have the same car but you'll look at it like it has a big block instead of the small block that the other guy has.

We all waste so much money on these cars. I believe that the thing that motivates too many of us is the up side. I see so much up side too stroking and adding compression,I don't even consider that there could be a down side.Man this thing runs good! Yes I know,but what's the down side? Man this thing runs good!

wat tranny u running?

The more you use it on the street,the more the stroke is worth it. If you can also get the compression ratio up to 9.5/1, you'll have an even bigger grin on your face when you use your new engine. Then you can start running E85 and your big new grin will double in size. You'll actually view your car differently. You'll still have the same car but you'll look at it like it has a big block instead of the small block that the other guy has.

We all waste so much money on these cars. I believe that the thing that motivates too many of us is the up side. I see so much up side too stroking and adding compression,I don't even consider that there could be a down side.Man this thing runs good! Yes I know,but what's the down side? Man this thing runs good!