Pros/Cons of roll cage

mjdwyer23

Woosh WaGoN
Hey Everybody-
I would like to know the pros and cons of putting a 6 point cage with swingouts in a car (say my WE4). I ran an 11.80@120 with a 2.0 60' time a few weeks ago, and if I leave with boost I will get kicked out for sure. I'm just fishing for opinions because I don't know if I'm too hot on cutting up my car, but safety is what's the most important to me for sure. Pics would be cool too! Thanks everyone!

Roll cages are good... the only thing I dont like is the loss of the back seat to anyone over 5.5.

I dont have any experience with cages in cars, but in off road racing they are life savers. They also really stiffen up the chassis.

My opinion on cages is that if you need one then get one... and you are right on the border of needing one! Also I dont think they hurt the value of these cars that much either if done right.

Best to notify your insurance company first, most won't insure a car with a bar in it up here.

Pro's-safe, very safe
cons-ugly, hard to get in a out, backseat=no longer, harder and more expensive to get insurance, weighs a little bit, takes away from sleeper..

Obviously more cons than pro's until you hit the wall at 130

120 MPH is more than enough MPH to need a rollbar. I think about a roll bar like insurance, it's aggravating to have, you can have it for years and years and never use it, but when you need it, you'll be glad you have it.

Scott

You know, sheet metal is a lot easier to fix than my body. I'm gonna get a 6 point with swing outs done later this summer.

cage

I know what you mean about cutting up the car, it sucks!! The track I use is managed by a bunch of hillbilly's that are only interested in your 25 bucks. I ran 11.40'S and 11.20's all year last year and no one said anything! I wasn't even thinking of doing one this year but I got lucky enough get a ticket to race on Pinks at Milan Raceway in June. I'm told tech is tight there and I won't even consider turning down the boost. I figure with my new motor and turbo I should be able to crush me some 10 sec mustangs, so off to the chasis shop I go! I too, am going with a six point bar with swingouts. I'm going with chromolly. Should be done in a couple of weeks. Good luck w/ your decision!!

My decision's made, it's just a matter of when it's gonna happen and finding a builder who will make it tasteful and not too visible from the outside.

Going fast is money well spent!

Your life, well I hope you would think thats PRICELESS:)

My decision's made, it's just a matter of when it's gonna happen and finding a builder who will make it tasteful and not too visible from the outside.

Check out JM Fabrications They are doing a molly cage in my GN right now, which will be done by next week. They are in Hatfield, PA. Bucks county. They do Amazing work!
Ray

Matt,
I use Grundy. You can see the 6 point bar in my appraisal photos I submitted with my application. I didn't have any problems. $240/yr.

Be safe, get a bar in the car. You have a combo that'll run easy 10's.

:)

-Banning.

I got kicked off the track last night for not having a cage. As much as I hate it I will have to install roll bars. I found a local guy and he said he can do the back bars high and tight to the ceiling and leave the back seat functional. I will put in an 8-point cage with swing out bars on both sides and the middle bar on the main hoop. I called my insurance company (Allstate) and they said they had no problem with me adding a roll bar. My rate will not increase nor will there be a disclaimer. My interior is completely redone so the idea of taking all that apart and cutting the car sucks. Better safe than sorry I guess.

you know i had the same delima also but after looking at underboosts car the other day ( by the way thanks for the info ) and seeing a couple of real time video's of cars hitting the barrier anywhere from 90-120 trust me makes you realize screw it and cage the car which is next, also Brents car was done very well were you actually can barely tell he has a cage in it unless you look close so still has somewhat of a sleeper look! and last but least to dr. driveability i would second guess the swing out option as alot of tracks from what i understand are starting to not allow swing outs for safety reasons so make sure before you pay extra and have an issue down the road.

If your just putting a 6 point in, then it can be hidden very well. The cage I put in JRGN's car was tucked up very well. If it weren't for him having a 10pt cage, then you wouldn't be able to see the cage very much.

I'm working on the plans for a 6pt in my 87. It will be hidden so well that you wont be able to see it even with the windows down.:cool: