Quarter window trim restoration

86 TR

Work In Progress
I need to restore the trim and rubber trim on my quarter windows. I know you can paint the metal trim but what's the best way to get the rubber nice and black again?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

I just talked to a body shop about this yesterday. They said the glass would need to be replace along with the trim. The price for one was $383 and it was 2 hours labor to remove and install the new one. Driver's side will need to be done soon on mine and it wouldn't make sense to do only one side.

I just talked to a body shop about this yesterday. They said the glass would need to be replace along with the trim. The price for one was $383 and it was 2 hours labor to remove and install the new one. Driver's side will need to be done soon on mine and it wouldn't make sense to do only one side.
Where is he sourcing these? I was under the impression these are not available new. He knows it's not the same as a monte right?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Where is he sourcing these? I was under the impression these are not available new. He knows it's not the same as a monte right?

Yes. More information please

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

I need to find 2 quarter windows also as I am planning on painting my car. It would be nice to know where we could get some.

I think have some quarter windows restored several years ago in storage. Will double check .

I think have some quarter windows restored several years ago in storage. Will double check .
If you don't find what you're looking, the shop that did some work on my car can order the quarter panels. Perhaps you can check around at collision shops, they may be able to order for you. $387 per window at my collision shop.

If you don't find what you're looking, the shop that did some work on my car can order the quarter panels. Perhaps you can check around at collision shops, they may be able to order for you. $387 per window at my collision shop.
Can you please give, or get more specific info on this? Nobody I know of body guys included know where to get these windows. Please give us specifics I would love to know where to buy new ones

Can you please give, or get more specific info on this? Nobody I know of body guys included know where to get these windows. Please give us specifics I would love to know where to buy new ones

Here is the website http://whitticoscollision.comcastbiz.net/index2.html
Number there is (313) 386-2260

One thing I should have specified from the start, I'm not sure if he sales parts unless they're doing the work. However, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I believe Tim is the owner and is in the front office most of the time, but occasionally Mark will be in the front office. I know they can get the part because they were going to replace mine and I passed until another time. You can tell Mark or Tim, that you got this information from Charles Lowe the guy with 86 Grand National they worked on. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ambient Temperature Sensor, they probably forgot to plug it back in.

BMW's are famous for those things failing. They read -65 degrees when they go bad.

Ambient Temperature Sensor, they probably forgot to plug it back in.

BMW's are famous for those things failing. They read -65 degrees when they go bad.
That's what I'm thinking, because my temperature was initially reading -40. Probably pop the hood and see.