Question for all!!!!

G

Gamble

Hey all, I have now owned my 86 GN for about 6 months, and I may be wrong , but I don't think I am the only one who may feel that the advancement of Buick racing is in a rutt. Comming from a mustang racing background, I remember Fords vs Buick races, and the buicks almost always kicked the crap out of the mustangs. But it seems to me that now the mustangs have moved out in front a bit. They have there own racing series ,(NMRA) witch runs west and east coast races, as well as a 50 pg news paper (Race Pages) full of car stories, vender adds, racing coverage and more. The combo of the two helps light a fire under racers as well as manufactures to design new parts, as well put the compitition back in things. You have compitition between manufactures for the new "HOT" parts being built, and between the racers to best his fellow racer. Not to mention they have the series to keep it all fresh and spicy!! Am I not the only one who would like to see some of these things for us?! How does the NTBRA sound. How about a news paper, not letter, letting us know who has new parts out there, Stories on racers and their cars, tricks of the trade ,and finally race dates so we can all get togeather more often and see if we can move our sport forward to a new level. Maybe i'm crazy, and i'm the only one who would like to see any of these things, but hopefully not!!! What do you think?

I would love to see that too, but the truth is it's probably not gonna happen. There just aren't enough of us. There are so many Mustangs that that's where the big business is. Those Mustangs are lucky though.

I can see your point about the numbers of them out there, but don't you think there should be more new parts more often than there are? Maybe full fuel systems that use mod fuel rails, pre cut lines, fittings needed as well as pumps and maybe even a 1/2 inch stock style fuel pickup. There lots of TR in the 11's and 10's these guy's would i'm sure like to see stuff like this. There are guy's driving,, on a regular basis 1200hp cars on the street , why isn't there stuff to get us close?

It will never happen unless Buick makes a modern car that hauls ass. There MIGHT be 40,000 TR's out there compared to 4,000,000 Stangs. Also Buick only cares about old fart mobiles now. There are no young kids out there wanting to drive Buicks, they dont even know what our cars are

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening either. Let's face it, there have been 15 years worth of Mustangs made SINCE the last Turbo Regal was made in 1987 not to mention all of them made up to that point. Everyone needs to support the few vendors out there that do make things for the Turbo Regals.

I don't think you're going to see anything really earth shattering for these cars in the next while because Buick's little V-6 had a whole package of advanced technology well before any other car did.Ever wonder where the import guys got the idea they could put a turbo on a streetable car?I talked to a Honda owner who wanted my old stock turbo for his car,yet according to the Honda,they don't need a turbo to make big h/p.The factory engineers stated this when they first put out the V-Tec engine.Paxtons were first used on F-1 cars back in the 30's,if I remember correctly.As to the fuel pump in tank thing,I think someone is working on a pump to drop in the tank that's even bigger than the 340.However,you're correct that it will take some upgraded lines to control the bigger pumps.We've got SFI,so there's no real improvement to be had there except for better computers to control things.Got that covered with the aftermarket.
The only thing really left is the internals of the engine,cranks,rods,etc.That'll allow more revs and more power.

I can see what everyone is saying, but in the least lets try to put together a good race series to all get together at. I'm not saying a 20 race series, but maybe 10 ,5 east , 5 west. And I do support the vendors out there making parts for our cars,without them we would be screwed!!! But in saying that , wouldn't it be nice to have more than a couple of heads to choose from, maybe a billet adaptor, to adapt a mustang t-body to ours,there bigger and cheaper. How about a horizontal mount intercooler kit, you could fit a cooler larger than most front mounts without the cooling issues. How about getting someone like JR Granatelli or Pro-M who builds MAF's for almost every other car / truck to build one for ours? Or a torque arm kit at a reasonable price. I think the vendors out there are doing a great job with what they have to work with, but is it not possible to get some new ones involved? Maybe it's not , I don't know. But it doesn't mean i'm not going to try to find out.