Quick question?

Hey Gofstbuick,
THank you kindly for your help. I wanted to ask you how long did it take you to take out the power master unit and change all seals. If i don't have alchohol, may i use brake cleaner? How many hours and are there any suprises?

Thanks pal

Michael

PS....Are you attending the gs nationals in bowling green this year?

Thanks

It should take about 45 minutes to remove the system from the car. The rod (connecting the brake pedal to the master cylinder) is held on by nylon bushing. If you pull on the rod hard enough, it will separate from the master cylinder. When you put everything back together, connect the rod to the pedal and lightly bolt the master cylinder back up and push on the brake pedal. Remove nuts that hold master cylinder in place and make sure the rod is reset. It should take around 1.5 hours to rebuild the master cylinder. You can use 2 cans of brake clean, and a soft brush. Dry the parts with compressed air. Use brake fluid or brake assembly lube to put every thing back together (especially on the seals and in the bore. The master cylinder bores are anodized, so if you shine a light down the bore and it is pitted, you'll have to buy a remanufatured or new powermaster. My unit had a lot of black crud everywhere, but the bores looked great. The rebuild kit comes with a two new power piston (only one is required) and you need to match the alpha-numeric code from your unit and make sure you install the correct power piston. Make sure the spring for the check valve points in (that was the mistake I made and I was looking at it for quite some time, plus two disassembles:( . Probably would have taken less time and there were even pictures. Are you having troubles since you replaced the motor?

I wish I was attending the nationals. But this years vacation is a Mexico cruise and next years vacation is an Alaska cruise. Maybe if there is a get togther in Vegas I may try to attend Vegas. I hope everyone has a great time at the NATS

Hey Gofstbuick,
Just came in from the garage. I was working on the gn. I did take out the pump motor with it still intact on the car. It wasn't too bad. Although it was a pain to take out the screw on the drivers side that has a bracket that holds the motor to the booster. Spilled very little fluid. I had tons of wrags wrapped up, around, underneath, etc...I had a frosted bag on top og the valve cover area on the driver's side and noticed that there was little fluid on the bag. Lifted it up and noticed that it penetrated through the bag and went only on the black plastic shield that goes around the valve covers. No problem. Got some towels. Had windex around and used it to clean the plastic. Other than that....all good. I did not mount the motor in. I want to detail a little where the pump was. The firewall below needs very little detail and also decided to paint with a satin finish the 2 brackets that hold up the pump to the booster. There is little pitting of rust probably caused by sitting too much and would like to clean them with a wire brush, primer and paint. I love my gn and intend on keeping it. I want to make it look very mint. I am into speed but more into originality and detail of all authentic automobiles. Dont get me wrong....i still love performance and cant wait to see gnx's at bowling green Ky. I want to apoligize for not returning your mail. I got tied up with work and could not write back.
Well....How does it sound so far. I think i'm doing great on this project. Please email me.

Thanks pal

Michael:D