radiators

Warped

No helmet required!
I've been running the IROC radiator for many years with an external oil cooler in my daily driver. Well it's not even summer yet and it's running 200-210 on the highway and around town without even running the A/C. That's with a 180* stat. Stock fan. Looking at an upgrade. It looks like several Buick venders are selling the same GN1 aluminum radiator. Anyone using this in a daily driver that can let me know how well it performs in this Texas heat? Any other suggestions appreciated as well.

I run the GN1 in my car with dual fans. I run both the oil and transmission cooler through it. No issues. Keeps everything at 165-170 pretty much all year long, highway or city. If I am running AC in summer, it creeps up to about 185.
It is a beefy radiator. I am not in Texas, but still warm in New Mexico.

I'm in Texas, have the dual spal fan set up and GN1 alum radiator and no problems, idea temp of 180 and was running oil and trans thru but recently went to remote trans cooler and remote oil filter so we shall see how she goes!

Thank you all for the prompt responses. Looks like the GN1 rad and fan setup is the route I'll go. The GN is the car I drive everyday plus the annual trek to BG. Can't afford any of its systems not being 100% reliable.

alradco and dual large fans, fans come on at 185 and it never goes more than a few degrees above it in stop and go traffic even on hot days. big rjc fmic too. I'm using rmi-25 also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Texas, run the GN1/dual fans as well. I recently deleted the oil cooler and trans cooler has its own external cooler. Never creeped over 180ish/AC on.

I run the GN1 2.5 inch radiator with stock fan set on high speed. I live in the New York Hudson Valley area,and 90 degrees in the summer with A/C never above 185.

I intended to provide an update but had to wait for consistent hot weather, a drive of suitable distance, and verification of the accuracy of my cheapo mechanical temp gauge. In prep for a radiator/fan upgrade I put in my 160* stat and flushed the radiator / block with water, added Prestone cleaner, then drove for a week for a heavy duty cleaning cycle. On a Sunday afternoon I flushed the cleaner from my old IROC radiator and pulled the petcock for a quick drain, apparently not a good idea since it would not screw back in and seal. This forced my hand since I needed to drive the GN to work the next day so I sourced a new '90 IROC radiator from an Auto Zone on a Sunday afternoon for $98. The GN now runs from 156* to 166* whether stopped, in traffic, or on the highway. I just need to keep that IROC radiator clean and it should do the trick.

I intended to provide an update but had to wait for consistent hot weather, a drive of suitable distance, and verification of the accuracy of my cheapo mechanical temp gauge. In prep for a radiator/fan upgrade I put in my 160* stat and flushed the radiator / block with water, added Prestone cleaner, then drove for a week for a heavy duty cleaning cycle. On a Sunday afternoon I flushed the cleaner from my old IROC radiator and pulled the petcock for a quick drain, apparently not a good idea since it would not screw back in and seal. This forced my hand since I needed to drive the GN to work the next day so I sourced a new '90 IROC radiator from an Auto Zone on a Sunday afternoon for $98. The GN now runs from 156* to 166* whether stopped, in traffic, or on the highway. I just need to keep that IROC radiator clean and it should do the trick.
For summer I would run distilled water and a bottle of RMI 25. I use it year round since my car is garaged.