Roller rockers for roller cam?

86BLACKT

I am thinking about upgrading to a roller cam. The motor is coming out of the car due to a what looks like a bad ring in #6 (oil on top of piston, valve seals look good). I bought headers to put on too. I have enough to buy a roller kit, and like everyone else was wondering what everyone recommends.I think I will wait for the rockers...is that dumb? I figure that can be done later. I run 110 to 116 constantly in the car, and it is a weekend ride. I am also getting ready to upgrade to a higher stall converter soon. Thanks for the help!!

Modify the head pedalstals when they are off the car. If you purchase Harland Sharps you will need to clearance them if it has not already been done. If you ever decide to go roller rockers it will be pretty much a bolt-on deal when the motor is in the car. Do a search under TB.com under Harland Sharp and you will see what I mean... HTH

Mike Banas
87GN

Definitely modify the pedestals while it's apart. Also, get some heavy duty rocker arm shafts. They're only about $100 and will save you time later because they won't break. Some also say the rjc shaft braces do the trick with stock rocker setup and a roller cam. Grumpy is a big proponent of those and he seems to know his stuff.

Some also say the rjc shaft braces do the trick with stock rocker setup and a roller cam. Grumpy is a big proponent of those and he seems to know his stuff.

I hear Dan owns stock in RJC;) :biggrin:

Here's how to modify the rocker pedistals. You need to trim the sides of the pedistals.

Attachments

• Copy of PICT0482.JPG
    Copy of PICT0482.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 225
I am thinking about upgrading to a roller cam. The motor is coming out of the car due to a what looks like a bad ring in #6 (oil on top of piston, valve seals look good). I bought headers to put on too. I have enough to buy a roller kit, and like everyone else was wondering what everyone recommends.I think I will wait for the rockers...is that dumb? I figure that can be done later. I run 110 to 116 constantly in the car, and it is a weekend ride. I am also getting ready to upgrade to a higher stall converter soon. Thanks for the help!!

I do not think it is dumb because you will need to get pushrods that are the correct size for the rockers you will use so buy once - the RR's also make it easy to ensure the pre-load is exact on all valves.