S&W's new Bodyguard 380 pocket gun.

robertf

Anyone here have this yet? I have the Shield 9mm in my truck. Love how it handles/shoots. In need of a pocket carry. Would love to here some pos feedback. On sale now at Gander for $319.00. I'd hate to pass that deal up.
Thanks.

I've been looking at several, including the Kahr Arms P380, the Sig P938. The Rem R51 looks to be well designed w/ rounded edges, etc. Easier to get out of the pocket, than some.
I'll add the bodyguard to the list.
The Glock 27/.40 cal is too bulky. I have it slung on the edge of the seat in my truck..Hopefully, I won't have to thwart a truck jacking. But......A +P HP at 3' is a butt load of devastation!:smuggrin:

Stay safe, shoot first, go home.(y)

Well I went to Gander today and the salesman talked me out of the Bodyguard at this time. He said he has sent more BG 380's back than any other gun. Thats a good salesman right there. Guess I'll do some research and find out what the problem is.

Did the salesman make any mention as to why he has had to send them in?

The BG .380 is not even close to a new pistol. I have had mine since 2010. Carry it daily. Fits in the pocket great.

Have worn out the superfly holster. It's basically a pocket holster, has a large flap to help conceal that you have anything. It is unnecessary imo, but it fits in my door handle pull spot on my truck perfectly, and when I put it in the toolbox or console, it pads it well. Rubber dots just falling off. Other than that the holster is still great. Also have a small iwb holster that works great.

Trigger pull is shitty. I will be completely honest. Not a match trigger by any means. Long, not super smooth. Doesn't drop till at the very end.
Girls don't like it at all as it is heavy to pull, and also it is very light, thus fairly snappy. Guys say it sucks, but they also understand it is a carry gun. It is hard enough to pull that in the event it was pocketed and the safety was not on, it would not be very easy to have an accidental discharge by any means. You can pull it back 1/2" and nothing. Super long pull. Mine has smoothed out over the years.

I leave mine loaded unless cleaning, or shooting it empty. Still fires great after being cocked for 6 years straight.

I have had zero malfunctions in about 800 rds. Only time it malf'd was when a girl was shooting it. Too limp-wristed, slide failed to close fully due to limp wristing. It scared her more than the Glock .380, which is heavier, and feels less snappy. She got the Glock.

Even with it's small size and shitty trigger, and light weight/snappiness, I can hit targets accurately without an issue. Great concealed carry pistol that I am comfortably carrying every day. I carry it over any other pistol in the stable.

Mine has the laser built in, only way they offered it for several years.

I have also let buddies shoot it, which caused 3 out of 3 to go out and purchase one for themselves.

Only issue with the pistol itself that I have had was actually with the laser. The earlier versions had an issue with the buttons. One side was super hard to press. The laser is from Insight. After about a year or two I contacted S&W about it. They had me send in just the laser unit, got a new laser back in a week or two, no issues at all since other than batteries. The buttons press a lot easier now, both side buttons. It makes it easier to accidentally turn it on. Need my second set of batts in 4 years. Still pretty good. No complaints.

At first I thought it would not be accurate due to the trigger, but with a little range time I am just as accurate with the BG .380 at 20-40ft than I am with my Sig P229 Equinox... Maybe slightly more even. Then again, practice makes everything better. Have more rounds through it than the 229. I did upgrade the grip to the E2 on the Sig, and that has helped, but have been too busy to go toss 800 rounds out of it. The ONLY pistols I can say with confidence that I am more accurate with at close distances are my 1911's.

There is a new ccw league at the range by work, I have thought about going there with it even as I am that confident in it. I would likely be able to rank higher with it than if I went to an actual league where most guys shoot 1911's with reloaded super slow rounds. I have looked at those leagues and as I don't reload I would just piss most people off and not place well anyways. These guys re-load so soft you can literally watch the bullet go down range.

Versus the lcp, I have held and shot both, and I prefer the BG. Even when the lcp was cheaper, I still went with the BG.

Last edited:
Excellent post. I will def go back tomorrow for more info on why they went back. I personally favor the long hard trigger. IMO, less chance of accidental discharge if I have to quickly pull it from my pocket. If I had to pull it to defend myself, I probably won't notice the trigger pull anyway. Thanks for the post.

Excellent post. I will def go back tomorrow for more info on why they went back. I personally favor the long hard trigger. IMO, less chance of accidental discharge if I have to quickly pull it from my pocket. If I had to pull it to defend myself, I probably won't notice the trigger pull anyway. Thanks for the post.

You're very welcome.

You may notice it (trigger) at a range, but when the shtf, you won't. I know that I am not afraid of accidentally snagging my keys, or something on the trigger in the event I unintentionally put them in the same pocket. I have also pulled it out to defend myself, didn't have to fire, but afterwards I really thought about it. That hard trigger may have been the difference from me discharging under adrenaline/pressure vs pulling and putting away after the threat had dissipated. S&W actually put more thought into it than just "lets make a pocket gun that people LIKE to shoot", and instead made it towards "lets make a pocket gun for people to safely protect themselves"...

It's about the equivalent of a mil-spec trigger vs a 3.5lb drop in on an AR. Once you are used to them both, you can accurately and properly use both to do the same thing.

Post back as to what they say. If it is misfire/fail to feed/fail to lock slide forward, or trigger issues, then it is likely due to the issue I had said prior post.
If you are local to me, in Mi, lemme know. I would be more than happy to meet you at a range so you can see first hand how it shoots. I could use a range day. Just pay for your lane and ammo. ;)

I know 2 people that have the BG.

They both love it.

Yeah it has a 10lb trigger but like stated above it is accurate.

I've shot both their guns and they are pretty accurate and never had any problems.

They have been around a few years.

Some times salesmen will sway you towards something that benefits them and not you.

Get the BG and you'll be fine.

D

It's a nice little gun, carry it in a kydex holster inside waistband. They are always on sale also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
look at the new version just released a few weeks ago....much nicer.

Well after further discussion with a different salesman at Gander, the only problem with the Bodyguard is the magazine. After a short period it fails to lock the slide open after the last spent round. Not a big deal to me. I am though looking into the LCP also. I've been reading good stuff about it.

Well after further discussion with a different salesman at Gander, the only problem with the Bodyguard is the magazine. After a short period it fails to lock the slide open after the last spent round. Not a big deal to me. I am though looking into the LCP also. I've been reading good stuff about it.

Not sure if they changed something, but neither of my mags have had an issue, nor my buds fwiw.

Good post.....thumbs down on KHAR arms imo and experience horrible customer service. reference the BG I work for a good sized police department and guys carry the BG, GLOCK, and RUGER. IMO they are all good quality firearms that have good reputations. it comes down to comfort and functions you are comfortable with. When it comes to accuracy.....keep in mind these pocket Guns aren't made for match competition. they are made for cqb and saving ur life. with all that said the price on the BG is a good deal so pick it up and wear that thing out!!!!!!!