Scanmaster on the way???

1BADT

TurboHolic
I know my scanmaster should come with instructions on how to hook it up. I have only heard of people hot-wireing it to the ignition wire in the fuse block.

Is there a way to make this unit portable. Like using a plug that can go into the cigarette lighter or something? Also does this unit need an inline fuse or can an on/off switch be installed with it?

I'm not much for electrical stuff so any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

I used a cig lighter plug kit (has a fuse in it) and spade connector from Radio Shack. Then got a radar detector suction cup mounting kit and double sided sticky tape from K-Mart.

I got a nice little cigarette lighter plug from Radio Shack that had an on/off switch made into it. The other end just had a "+" and "-" wire. I got some "bullet" connectors and crimped three male on the power, ground, and signal wire on the Scanmaster. Crimp two females on the power and ground on the end of the lighter plug. Get a short peice of wire, crimp one more female on one end of it, then a post connector on the other. This is the wire you'll plug into the signal wire and then use the post connector to push into the ALDL. That's all you need to make it portable. Then in my car, I used some quick splice connectors and splice three short wires into the power, ground, and signal going into the back of the ALDL. On the other end of these three wires I crimped three female bullets. That way I can just unplug the Scanmaster and plug it up to the lighter plug and wire to make it mobile.