Scanmaster Toast??

TTipe

Snake Skinner
My scanmaster only displays "SCAN 2.2" and follows with "PL". The chip is the fast rate chip for use with the powerlogger.I have only evaluated with the engine not running but the key at engine run position.I have verified the connections ( and re-soldered) and inspected the card for a leaky cap or broken trace. I have also removed the chip, cleaned the socket and chip with maf cleaner and re-installed the chip. All pins were correctly installed. It looks like a casualty. Any experience is greatly appreciated.

Where, exactly, is the scanmaster's data wire hooked to?

It might work better if you connect it to the Scanmaster terminal (SCM) of the Powerlogger input board.

A number should appear after PL (PL version), so it looks like it's not communicating with the Powerlogger. How old is your Powerlogger?

A number should appear after PL (PL version), so it looks like it's not communicating with the Powerlogger. How old is your Powerlogger?
About 1 year old and little use. Nothing has changed since it was working.I thought vibration may have degraded a contact.

I agree with Eric's diagnosis.

If the whole setup was working, and now its not, then I would look at the connections. The scanmaster signal goes thru the beige cable, try reseating both ends of it.

Otherwise, we can arrange for me to look at it.....

Bob

If the whole setup was working, and now its not, then I would look at the connections. The scanmaster signal goes thru the beige cable, try reseating both ends of it.

Bob
I had done these checks 2 days ago other than using the powerlogger "SCM" port which I assumed tied to the same ecm pid as the serial data port at aldl.I have never used the port on the powerlogger junction block because the numbers through aldl looked good prior to the problem.I checked the SCM on the powerlogger junction block and got the same 6 "-" like at aldl. I even fired up the soldering station to improve connections with the same results.I was just trying to verify some work I had done this week before the fast and safeguard go in. I will look at the "beige" cable again. I did notice that unless the scanmaster saw an initial voltage at cavity "E" it would not display the device ID's up front. With solid connections at both aldl cavity E and the powerlogger connector block on subsequent attempts, the same device id's "SCAN 2.2", "PL", and "--- ---" occurred. I assume (bad word) that since both results were the same,even after resoldering the connector at cavity E that the cable pin was engaging the female.I don't think either the male or female is pushed back. I'll try this again tomorrow concentrating on the cable for the obvious.

Thanks

Bob
I checked the male and female pins for the beige cable,cleaned the pins with maf cleaner (light alcohol), looked for correct pin insertion length and ran a test. The result is as before, "SCAN 2.2", "PL", "--- ---". Is there something else I should look at?

what version software is in the PL?

Connect the PC, start the PLC program monitoring, then check the help/about dialog.

Bob

Connect the PC, start the PLC program monitoring, then check the help/about dialog.

Bob
Software version is 2.2 (the powerlogger compatible software). I'll check the powerlogger dialog when a certain person in my household relinquishes posession of my car laptop.

Connect the PC, start the PLC program monitoring, then check the help/about dialog

Bob
Powerlogger communicating just fine on COM 3.No trouble codes.Dispay rate 17 frames/sec. Wideband talking. 6.1 grams/sec at 825 rpm at 98 deg F IAT. What next??

What version software in the Powerlogger (the 2.2 is Scanmaster)?
I have looked for a software version in the directories and on the cd.I have found no version in the file directory or on the cd.This is somewhat mute considering that the powerlogger was used today to evaluate some modifications and worked ok.The green light was flashing.The scanmaster used to work as well being aligned with the powerlogger output.If the parallel devices (my laptop and scanmaster) worked before without issue, how does the same (unaltered) software which caused it to work before now cause it to not work? The connectors and wiring were verified and I know the powerlogger is talking to the scanmaster because when I tied into the ALDL the characters were "--- ---" and "888 888" when connected to the powerlogger junction block. This was repeatable. Bob Bailey said previously he wanted to look at it but thats up to him.

Don't worry, we will get it straightened out.

We are confused because you say it used to work, but it's not possible for a Scanmaster with the 2.2 chip to work with the ALDL port. It must be connected to the Powerlogger SCM port. Are you sure that wasn't with the 2.1 chip?

We just want to make sure your Powerlogger doesn't have some older software, which wasn't compatible with the Scanmaster 2.2. It has nothing to do with whether the Powerlogger itself works.

If the Powerlogger has the latest software (check it as Bob already described), and it still doesn't work, then it needs to be looked at.

Regards,
Eric