Series and Parallel circuit switching help please

Sal Lubrano

I am running a 18 volt motor off of three 6 volt SLA batteries in series. When the batteries need charging, I have to break down all the connections and change them to parallel to use my 6 volt charger. My question is can someone help me out with an idea or drawing how I can easily switch the the battery configuration with out moving all the wires. Maybe through relays or switches. Don't want this to get too complicated. If, you do use a relay it has to fail 6 volts - parallel. A perfect world would be able to hook up the charger to the motor wires and switch to 6 volts. All of my ideas are getting too complicated with diodes and multiple switches in different positions.

I can get a DPDT switch do just about do what you want. You won't have to lift wires, but still have to charge the batts separately. Someone here will work it out so you can do them simultaneously.

Attachments

• batteries.GIF
    batteries.GIF
    63.1 KB · Views: 84
If they are separated from other systems they can be charged without disconnecting them each. Just clamp the charger to a battery and charge it. repeat until all are finished. The juice just only goes into one battery because the charger is completing the circuit.

Thank you s10xGN and Salvagev6 for the diagrams. I think Salvage hit the nail on the head! Looks good to me. Going to give it a try with the addition of 3 fuses. Really did not want to hook up 3 chargers. Thank you both for putting the time in and figuring this out for me.

I wasn't saying to use 3 chargers. I was saying to move the charger clamps to another battery as each battery finishes.