sheetmetal pan, leak

T- Type Tim

Vice Chairman
I cant seem to get this thing to stop leaking, ive tried rubber gaskets with no luck... cork was on it when

i bought it and it leaked like a screen door on a submarine. tried using hi tack rtv with rubber gasket to

with no joy. seems like it leaks from bolt holes and fron passenger side corner. pleased advise. Thanks

Be careful with sealant as you will block a fluid exhaust hole on the pan rail. First thing comes to mind is rail flatness and or bad welds leaking.
Check it with a stratigh edge and clean it up and fill with hot soapy water and look for leaks around the welds.
Soapy water will flow easier as the soap has broke the surface tension.

The sheet metal rail will distort very easily if you over torque the bolts. Straight edge will show this as the holes being higher than the rail surface. Go easy with an abrasive wheel :eek: and knock them down if they are high spots.

Mike

I bought a nice sheet aluminum pan from a well known vendor on here and I had a darn little leak I just couldn't find and I did all the stuff mentioned above. I finally found it after laying under the damn car for about half an hour with it running. Was leaking threw the front weld. Took it off cleaned it very well and put JB weld all up and down the weld on the inside and it's been dry for about 3 years now.

I have 25 thousandths difference in 2 spot s , both where leaks are happening. I dont think im going to use this pan.

If the pan rail is straight using the fiber gasket and torquing the pan bolts to 10 ft lbs with no sealer you should be good to go . At least it works for me on my 200-4r . I had a th 350 that drove me nuts . I thought the leak was from the pan . Turned out to be the shift shaft and the modulator 0-ring .
Anybody bought a used pan for some of these vendors ? How badly beat up are they ?

nope rails are not sraight, over 25 thousands in 2 different spots, sent back to vendor a couple weeks ago. Said one is on its way
el 001.JPG